Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am thinking of adding some RAM to an old machine, but I don't know much about it, so I have some questions: What kind of RAM should I buy? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Adding memory

I am thinking of adding some RAM to an old machine, but I don't know much about it, so I have some questions:

What kind of RAM should I buy? Is the RAM slots build for a special kind e.g. DDR or SD, and what happens if you mix it?

No, you can't mix them.
    What you should do is take a stick of ram from your pc to your local computer store. That way you will be sure to get the same kind of ram
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Linux Engineer
    With ^^. You cannot mix them if only it were for their physical properties. They have a different pin layout one from another. I think DDR-SDRAM has 186 pins.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Guru
    You should check the manual for your motherboard if possible. If you don't have a manual, you may be able to find one from Google. If you don't know what motherboard you have, you may be able to see the model number printed on the board somewhere, or Google whatever numbers you can find on the board. A manual should tell you what combinations of memory will work and how much you can use.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better