Find the answer to your Linux question:

View Poll Results: What is the best processor for laptops?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Athlon 64

21 95.45%
  • Pentium 4

1 4.55%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am considering to buy a laptop, but I don't know what processor I should choose. I will mainly use it at school, but I want one that is powerful ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What processor should I choose?

I am considering to buy a laptop, but I don't know what processor I should choose.
    I will mainly use it at school, but I want one that is powerful enough to run some quite heavy games e.g. Generals, and maybe for watching video.
    Should I choose a Pentium 4 or an Athlon 64?

Well, the question you seem to be asking is "32-bit or 64-bit?" Since the Pentium 4 is still 32-bit. Both processors will offer you a great deal of power, but I would give the nod to the AMD64 simply because you will not have to upgrade your processor when more software starts going 64-bit (which is closer than you might think).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

oz
    forum.guy
    I currently have a P4 but voted the other way because my next build will be an Athlon 64.

Just Joined!
    P4's have been out for awhile...they're nice, but whenever I use the 64 bit....by God, that **** is awesome. Sure rumor has it that Intel > AMD, (that's just what I hear around my 'hood) but that new 64 bit just owns 32.

.....especially if you're gonna bruteforce at all...mmmmm 64-bit

Just Joined!
    Do you know how to find out which clock frequency the Athlon processors really have? E.g. an Athlon 64 3200+ is less than 3200MHz.

Quote Originally Posted by Veli
    Do you know how to find out which clock frequency the Athlon processors really have? E.g. an Athlon 64 3200+ is less than 3200MHz.
    Yes, AMD doesn't exactly adopt easy-to-understand naming conventions. The number after the name is the model number, not the clockspeed. My AMD64 3200 is 2.2gHz if I remember correctly.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Engineer
    Check out this site.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

I notice you are buying a laptop, unless you're buying a laptop for appearance/size rather than portability neither of these chips are ideal. Centrino, Pentium 4m, Pentium M or Athlon XP-M or Turion would be better. Running a desktop processor on a mobile will just chew the battery, not to mention heat problems. This is a reason why after the initial Pentium 4ms intel pulled back and started shipping Pentium Ms and Centrinos at ~ 1.6GHz to 1.9GHz rather than the 3GHz monsters they had before.

i tried a little test today with a compaq evo N600c PIII-M 1.066 Ghz and a P4-M 2 GHz Evo N610c. I loaded them identically which took almost the exact same amount of time to load (they have the same amount of RAM 512) and i decided to run something i felt to be somewhat of a memory hog. i used mencoder to rip a dvd. the P4 barely (i'm talking by a minute or two) edged out the PIII at almost half the processor speed. i wasn't sure if i should feel bad about the P4 or good about my PIII until i realized that the same battery lasts about a half hour longer in the PIII. If you're not a gamer is bigger and badder better?
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

That's nuts! Interestingly wasn't there a court case against intel claiming that P4s weren't faster than PIIIs?

It may also just be the heat stifling it. But either way I see a lot of centrinos and PMs work really well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast