Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi There, My name is "Fraser". I am currently using FC-3 as my only OS (as i found "windows" a technically poor OS). I have a very talented friend (a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FC-3 on AMD-sempron

Hi There,

My name is "Fraser". I am currently using FC-3 as my only OS (as i found "windows" a technically poor OS). I have a very talented friend (a mechanical engineer) who wants to enter into the world of computers (especially programming) through his business (he is working very hard to launch a magazine on engineering profession). He is an intellectual person so he i decided to "gift" him with FC-3 CD set when he bought "AMD-sempron".

BUT i tried every way and was not able to install FC-3 on "AMD-sempron" ( i installed FC-3 on my system using same CDs, i have Celeron-600 on SiS-630). I was disappointed and so was he. For 7 days continuously i keep on teching him the differences between FC-3, FreeBSD, UNIX, Mac OS X and windows and also about how windows makes a person "intellectually handicapped by eroding his common-sense of softwares" and also about the social effects of softwares. He was very interested in using GIMP toolkit for his magazine because of high-quality of GNU softwares. BUT now i am helpless as i have only FC-3 and nothing else, anyway he is using windows now but everyday when he wakes up he picks up FC-3 CDs and "FC-3 bible" that i gifted him and he feels sad for some time for buying AMD-sempron .I feel very unhappy at this. I am providing here full hardware specification:

########### HARDWARE-SPECIFICATION################

PROCESSOR: AMD-sempron - 2500+

MOTHERBOARD: K8M800-M2 (of ECS-Elitegroup)

HARD-DISK: HITACHI 82.3 GB 7200 RPM

#############################################

i get the following error when i try to install FC-3 on his AMD-sempron ---

everything goes fine (like using personal, workstation, custom install and using disk-druid, setting time etc.) untill it starts installing packages. At 1st CD or at 2nd CD it gives the following error while installing the packages--

############# ERROR #####################

There was an error installing xyz.(xyz can be perl-package, open-office package or any other with proper version number). This can indicate media-failure, lack-of-disk-space, and/or hardware problems. This is a fatal-error and your install will be aborted. Please verify your media and install again.

press OK button to reboot the system.

##############################################

PROBLEM EXPLAINED:

I tried to install FC-3 severla times at different intervals of time but got the same error.I knew that FC-3 can not be installed on AMD-athlon-64 but didn't it know it will not be installed even on AMD-sempron which is a 32-bit OS. If FC-3 can not be installed on this system may you tell me--

--- which GNU/Linux should i use?
    --- will Red Hat Enterprise Linux-4 will work? How can i get the CDs?
    --- Will FreeBSD work on this system?

** 2nd QUESTION: I, myself, want to buy a new computer. I want to buy
    AMD-athlon-64. Will FC-3 work on it? If not then which
    other GNU/Linux distributions.

Can anybody help me on providing answers to these 2 questions?

thanks in advance.

"Fraser"

Just Joined!
    come on man...
    who told u that fc3 won't work on amd64.Mine is amd 64 with asus motherboard and has FC3 on it....If you've sis 190 ethernet card then fedoracore3 doesn't have driver
    for that but still there is solution which i've not completely met with.....
    visit:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/pos...44.html#306944

also :
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...2&goto=newpost
    all the best..
    go forward with amd plan!!!!!

Just Joined!
    Hi GEJoe,

thanks for your help.

Linux Engineer
    Every normal Linux distro will work on an AMD64, since it's 32 bit backwards compatible .

If I were you though, I'd skip FC and go for SuSE.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Linux Newbie
    Or FC4, the newer version