Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hiya, i've tried installing Nvidia graphics drivers the "nvidia way" which didn't work, i believe i need to extract the drivers from the .run file and then manually configure?? is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

NVIDIA Help

Hiya, i've tried installing Nvidia graphics drivers the "nvidia way" which didn't work, i believe i need to extract the drivers from the .run file and then manually configure?? is this correct and can you give me a noobs guide to doing this please, thank you.

This tutorial should be of some help: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials...ial-44103.html

basicially, the nvidia script compiles the driver and everything for you, you have to edit the xorg.conf file or similar to tell it to use these drivers. (Tutorial explains everything).
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

okie dokie

Ok i'll ty it, thx

ok i've looked it it but thats basically what i did, minus the part where you edit, how do you install when you do the sh NVIDIA ..... --extract-only method is what i'm asking.

once you edit the file, the system goes looking for the drivers. the shell script puts them into a place where teh system can find it.

If you used the sh xx -extract method, then I guess you would have to either read nvidia's docs and manually copy the drivers and stuff to the right place. Otherwise if you run the shell script without the extract option, it places it in the right place for you.

Just Joined!
    yes but i did run the shell script originally and it didn't work.

did it give any error message e.g. "Could not find kernel sources/headers" or "Could not find gcc"?

And what kind of nvidia card are you trying to install for? If it is geForce2 or before you need the 7174 series of drivers which can be found in the nvidia archives.