Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have an MP3 player which doesn't automatically get mounted. It's actually my girlfriend's and she doesn't want to have to type: su [rootpass] mount /dev/sda /media/usb -t vfat -o ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Automount USB

i have an MP3 player which doesn't automatically get mounted. It's actually my girlfriend's and she doesn't want to have to type:

su
    [rootpass]
    mount /dev/sda /media/usb -t vfat -o umask=0

...every time she wants to put music on there. Is there any way of amending the automounting-whatnot (i have no ideas about this one) so when this particular device is found, the above (or equivalent) executes?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    I have one tip that might help you:

When you typed the command, part of it was out of place. For instance, in the part (excerpt of your command):

mount /dev/sda /media/usb -t vfat

You have to tell it what kind of filesystem it uses before you tell it the device and mount point. In other words, try this part in place of what you typed:

mount -t vfat /dev/sda /media/usb

I think that this should help

Thanks, you're correct, i did get the ordering wrong. However, the query was how can i set things up so i don't have to type anything at all?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Just Joined!
    I am sorry about getting the question wrong. There is something in Linux which shows the computer how to mount the device where it needs to be and in what manner. This file is the /etc/fstab, and it is used when the computer turns on. It is very important, because the computer then knows how to handle all of the devices listed in there.

Since the file has a very specific way to be used, refer to the manual page on it before editing it.

Once you have done that (referred to the manual page), then you have to be sure of your device (like, for example, /dev/sda). Then, be sure of the mount point (where you want to use it at). Once that is straightened out, do something like:
    Code:
    vi /etc/fstab
    Then you get into insert mode, and you type the following:
    Code:
    /dev/sda     /media/usb     vfat rw 0 0
    That should tell it how it should be set up. After you put that line in and save the file, shut the computer down and restart it.

One caution: the computer might think that the device is in there when it turns on.

Just Joined!

USB sda1 not working SuSE 9.3

This is my first time here
    I have the SuSE 9.3 working properly the first 3 days. Now it no longer wants to see the USB when it is plugged. The hardware is ok, and the fstab keeps the same configuration it had before. The error message is:

sda1 is not a valid block device.

If tried with root, and also changing fstab. I have no ****ing Idead what to do.

Any Help???
    Thanks for your time. If you ever have a doubt about elemental physics.. ask me:-)
    alejandro

Is the device still accesible on other PCs? You didn't format it at all did you? Just asking the obvious ones to get them out of the way.