Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello, well I have a Conexant Modem, aparently these are winmodems. This is a sad because its kinda hard to get winmodems running with linux. But here is the tricky ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Conexant Modem

hello, well I have a Conexant Modem, aparently these are winmodems. This is a sad because its kinda hard to get winmodems running with linux. But here is the tricky part. There is a company called linuxant that manufactures drivers for Conexant modem chipsets. The only catch is that you can only connect at 14.4k with the driver unless you purcahse a license that costs 20 USD. Which basically unlocks all the features enabling you to connect 56k. I personally was wondering if it would just be better to purchase an externel modem or should I go with the linuxant driver ( and pay them $$ for the driver which is basically more than what the modem costed) well let me know what you guys have to say and I shall take it from there.

Tester.

Just Joined!

Yeah..

Its an ok driver. I have the free version as well, and it does go slow as crap (though it says it connects at 115200). Anyways, you might as well support the cause, besides, loads of external modems are like $30 - $50 USD, unless it's a really cheesy modem.

Best of Luck To you,

MrBiscuit

Linux Newbie
    hmmm am also using the free driver.. but its better to have an extrnal modem in surfing the net using linux...all of us of course wants quality surfing..ryt? or if ur in doubt, u can inquire for a dsl or wifi subscription..
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Microsoft/Windows aside -- IMO, a hardware modem (internal or external) is better than a software modem "by definition" - the "functionality" of the "internal workings" of modems has always "meant to be" done in hardware - it also means your system won't have to do it in software - if you can afford to get you a hardware modem (internal or external) - (my suggestion) get it!

Just Joined!
    Thanks Guys, Ill take that into consideration.

Just Joined!

Thanks

hey..thanks for the info..I shall look into purchasing a hardware externel modem. Which will basically work with any distro.. or I could just get broadband which will completly solve the problem..hehe..later.

-Tester.