Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, I have a 2.4.31 slackware 10.2 box with 2 network cards. The cards are installed properly and they function ok. I wanted to upgrade to 2.6.14 kernel, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

network cards are not working with 2.6.14 kernel

hi,
    I have a 2.4.31 slackware 10.2 box with 2 network cards. The cards are installed properly and they function ok. I wanted to upgrade to 2.6.14 kernel, so I downloaded, compiling and installing it. The problem is that none of my network cards were properly installed (ifconfig -a return only info about loopback interface).

How can I find out from the working system with 2.4.31 kernel what kind of network cards do I have and to select them properly in the “make menuconfig” form 2.6.14 kernel?

If I want to install them as modules, do I need to manually load the driver modules for the network cards or it is done automatically at boot time?

ddaas,

Is there not a tool in slackware to tell you what type of NICs you have? If you really get desperate you can try
    Code:
    hwinfo
    With this info you can recompile your kernel with support for the NIC devices.

If I want to install them as modules, do I need to manually load the driver modules for the network cards or it is done automatically at boot time?
    I think you can do either. With
    Code:
    modprobe
    you can load them manually. By adding them to
    Code:
    /etc/modules.conf
    you can load them at boot time.

Caveat: I am not very familiar with slack, and I have worked less with modules under Linux than FreeBSD (so hopefully someone will correct me if I am mistaken).

Just Joined!
    as supplemental advice,

if
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up
    doesn't bring anything up then
    Code:
    dhclient or dhclient3
    (if you're assigned ip through dhcp) and then
    Code:
    ifconfig eth0 up

4. $spacer_open