Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ever since I built my computer, I have been having issues with it randomly crashing. At first I had Windows XP Pro on it, and that would just suddenly reboot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Computer randomly crashes

Ever since I built my computer, I have been having issues with it randomly crashing. At first I had Windows XP Pro on it, and that would just suddenly reboot occasionally. I switched to Ubuntu AMD64 a few months ago, but the crashes haven't stopped, but instead of rebooting, it just locks up. This is extremely frustrating and I replaced the power supply and stock CPU fan just to make sure faulty power or overheating wasn't to blame. I also suspected that my video card was at fault, but sending it in to newegg for a replacement fixed nothing. Are there any programs for linux that diagnose these crashes? Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Here is my dmesg output if it helps: http://server.nescientia.com/dmesg.txt (I don't have any USB peripherals plugged in, so I don't know why I get that bios handoff error at startup. It only started happening after I upgraded from Hoary to Breezy.) and here are my detailed system specs:

• DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
    • AMD Athlon 64 3500+ ClawHammer 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500ASBOX
    • CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model TWINX1024-3200XLPT
    • Western Digital Raptor WD360GD 36.7GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive (I have two of them with a software RAID)
    • ASUS EN6600/TD/256 Geforce 6600 256MB DDR PCI Express x16 Video Card
    • BenQ Black EIDE/ATAPI DVD Burner Model DW1620 BLK
    • NEC Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive
    • Thermaltake Silent Purepower W0014RU ATX 480W Power Supply
    • Thermaltake VENUS 12 80mm Ball Cooling Fan/Heatsink
    • Dynatron DB1206SP System Exhaust Blower (two)
    • Lian Li PC-61 USB Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

If there is anything else you feel would help, I will post it here. Thanks for any help.

Since most of your hardware is pretty standard, the point of possible failure that I see is your RAID. I haven't yet seen anyone successfully get all their RAID features working in Linux (and I honetsly know nothing about getting it working in *any* OS; it's not something I find personally useful).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the reply. I suppose I could put an old IDE drive I have lying around in and reinstall to test that theory. I would hate to unneccesarily wipe clean my current drives.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If RAID isn't your problem have you considered maybe the ACPI isn't working correctly? The down side of course is that if you find this is to blame you kinda have to replace the motherboard. Check dmesg for any acpi errors.

Code:
    dmesg |grep -i acpi |less
    dmesg |grep -i apic |less

Just Joined!
    From my complete dmesg output (http://server.nescientia.com/dmesg.txt):

[ 60.340002] ibm_acpi: ec object not found
    [ 64.137471] powernow-k8: BIOS error - no PSB or ACPI _PSS objects

I have no idea what these mean.

I think either the raid or the sata controller may be the problem, though, because I haven't had a crash *yet* after unplugging my Raptors and using an IDE drive. I'm going to keep it running for a few days just to make sure.

EDIT: Ah, I spoke too soon. I came home from school to find my computer had locked up. I think I can pretty much rule out RAID being the issue.

Have you run any other systems on it? Have you tried to run a live disc for a few hours?

P.S. - Apologies for asking you for the dmesg, I missed your dmesg link above. I do see that acpi modules are not loaded. Hardware aside, does the CPU overheat? If the system isn't maintaining the ACPI it may well be getting hotter.