Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am running a dual boot of suse 9.2 on one hard drive with a small partition still usable by windows and windows xp on a second hard drive. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

transferring files from linux partition to windows partition

i am running a dual boot of suse 9.2 on one hard drive with a small partition still usable by windows and windows xp on a second hard drive. I am able to view and copy files from the windows partitions into linux. Is there a way for me to copy files from the linux partition to the windows partitions. I tried just dragging files but that doesnt work. How do i change the permissions on the parititions or is there a way for me to do this in windows. My problem is i have a lot of files ( too big to fit on any reasonable number of cds or dvds) in linux that i want to be able to have on the windows hard drive too but i dont know how to get them there. Would an external hard drive work. If so what type and brand of external hard drive would you recommend that would just plug in and work. I dont know a lot about linux so the easier the better.

If your windows drive is formatted as ntfs, it is presently risky to write to that partition from linux. Best thing to do would be to create a small FAT32 partition and use this to transfer data to windows from Linux.

If you want to create a new fat partition using SUSE's partitioning tool, see this post for more info.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    i read the other post and how do i use the partitioning tool to creat a fat32 partition is it on the suse install disk? Sorry i just want to be very careful cause i dont want to loose anything. I also found this if i do this will it work http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers/41

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by cwl157
    i read the other post and how do i use the partitioning tool to creat a fat32 partition is it on the suse install disk?
    My post on the last page of that thread tells how to create the FAT32 partition.

And that post on the other forums will only work if you know exactly what you are doing in the command line. It doesn't resize the existing partition for you.

Just Joined!
    oh second page my bad i didnt notice that and that will take one of the existing windows partitions and break it up into 2 windows partitions one thats ntfs and one thats fat32? and the fat32 will allow me to read and write from both windows and linux? The only question i have is about unmouting the windows drive. is that a command line thing or how do i do that?

Just Joined!
    just a thought there are a lot of files i want to be able to access both from linux and windows. Is it possible for me to put a new hard drive in my computer and format it to fat32 and have it read and write both for linux and windows

just a thought there are a lot of files i want to be able to access both from linux and windows. Is it possible for me to put a new hard drive in my computer and format it to fat32 and have it read and write both for linux and windows
    Yes, that is possible. SUSE should just detect the new drive and should add a mount point for it. You can then access the drive by navigating to the mount point in your File Manager.

The only question i have is about unmouting the windows drive. is that a command line thing or how do i do that?
    Use the umount command. e.g. umount /windows_partition's_mount_point.

Just Joined!
    could i reinstall windows on the one hard drive and then partition it to fat32 or make a ntfs partition for just the windows operatring system and then make the rest of it fat32 and then share all my files between the linux and windows

could i reinstall windows on the one hard drive and then partition it to fat32 or make a ntfs partition for just the windows operatring system and then make the rest of it fat32 and then share all my files between the linux and windows
    Yes, that is also possible. You can use the windows installer to repartition the drive for you, but why you'd want to do that now is beyond me as you will have to backup or delete whatever data you wanted to transfer over.

So, the cheapest step forward for you would be to repartition the windows drive, however the simplest step for you would be to throw another drive in there and format it as FAT32, whatever you decide is up to you.

Just Joined!

Another Issue

Hello, I'm having this weird issue on mandriva 2005 & 2006
    I have one Fat32 Partition for the purpose of transfering files between win/lin the weird thing is that when I paste something in the FAT32 partition from linux it allows me to do it even the files appear there in konqueror, but when I go to windows they're gone, I come back to lin and they're gone!!! permissions are all set to rwx for averyone creator and group I mean averybody.

any idea?

thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast