Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i got a 350watt aspire right now and its really not enough for my system (6600GT, 3000+ amd 64, 1gb ram).... So i want to get something preferably around ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Need a new ps

ok, i got a 350watt aspire right now and its really not enough for my system (6600GT, 3000+ amd 64, 1gb ram).... So i want to get something preferably around 500watts... It doesnt need to be to quite although its a nice plus and around 100$ or less

Linux Engineer
    500w? holy sh$t!

serzsite.com.ar
    "All the drugs in this world won\'t save you from yourself"

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by serz
    500w? holy sh$t!

how much do u suggest...? 350 isnt enough it isnt stable

IIRC, the 500W+ psu's are for those who want Dual Core CPU + SLi. For your system a 400 - 450W psu should be fine. As for a brand name, I have heard nothing but good things about Antec, so check them out.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux User
    500w? Try dual, dual core CPU's with SLI and fast SCSI disks. But that's a GOOD 500w PSU, there are a ton of cheap pieces of junk that can't even handle the load of a good 250w PSU. I'd guess the Aspire falls into this category, or maybe you just got a bad one.

I'd be looking 350w from the likes of Antec, Enermax, Fortron/Sparkle, PC Power and Cooling, or Seasonic. Dual 12v rails would be something to look for (ATX2.0 standard), and 400w would be a good idea for future upgradability.

If you want quiet, look at the supplies with single 120mm fans. A passive power supply is a bad idea, rather exhausting the system with a quiet PSU is a better overall quiet cooling solution.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe

Linux User
    i found a power tech 420 watt ps, would that be beter than what i have?

Linux User
    I've never heard of them, so I consider them a no name and I wouldn't risk it. As you've seen, a power supply isn't something to skimp and take chances on.

But hey, it's your choice.

Oh, a generally good way of judging a power supply, but not failsafe, is by weight. You have to have handled good supplies in the past, but a substantial feeling supply means it has a lot of heatsink mass. Obviously the manufacturer can add unnecessary sinks, but generally higher cooling requirements means more precise voltage regulation for higher amprage.
    Michael Salivar

Man knows himself insofar as he knows the world, becoming aware of it only in himself, and of himself only within it.
    --Goethe