Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
assuming you're not planning to use DHCP (or you would have had dhcpd installed, as per above), linuxconf is a fairly easy to use frontend for configuring networking, as well ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linuxconf

assuming you're not planning to use DHCP (or you would have had dhcpd installed, as per above), linuxconf is a fairly easy to use frontend for configuring networking, as well as a few other things - and I remember using it when I had redhat, so hopefully, it's still in the distro. You'll presumably have to change to the root user before firing it up, by using the su command in a terminal (as above) and then type linuxconf. I don't currently have it on my machine, so I can't check exactly where the networking device settings (IP, netmask etc) are, but from memory it's fairly easy to find your way around, so you should be fine with it. After you've set things up, you can use ifconfig to check if it's working

Anyhow, good luck with it champ, and happy redhatting

-d

Just Joined!
    Yes its extremely fun playing with new OS like Linux... I love the chalange.. . definetly having fun!!!

I've been googling along and stumbled on this port in abxzone.com forums...

Alternatively, you might want to use redhat-config-network and choose the SysKonnect SK-98xx Gigabit driver for your card.

I don't know if it's available for Red Hat 9 but it is for Fedora Core 1 and it works great. The module name is sk98lin. Look at my dmesg :

sk98lin: Network Device Driver v6.15
    (C)Copyright 1999-2003 Marvell(R).
    eth0: 3Com Gigabit LOM (3C940)
    PrefPort:A RlmtMode:Check Link State
    eth0: network connection up using port A
    speed: 10
    autonegotiation: yes
    duplex mode: half
    flowctrl: none
    scatter-gather: enabled
    I have also found more on this sk98lin think in tother sites too... does anyone here know wtf? Should I try this driver like the guy is suggesting ??? it seems like 3Com is using someone elses chips and suposedly the driver from this other company works on their prod too!!!

I think i'm gona try it tonight but can't find that driver!!! HElp dukes

Just Joined!
    Ok now I'm stuck with this page! http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect...02_driver.html

What patch should I download if at all... I don't know exactly what they mean by patching the kernel... I just know that the kernel is the heart of any OS and patching it don't sound too good...

I have installed Red Hat 9.0
    From what I have learned so far I believe I have kernel ver 2.4.20-8

OS = RH 9.0
    Kernel = 2.4.20-8

List of Qs:

1: Should I 'patch' my kernel?
    2: what patch do i download from that site above?
    3: Is my Kernel up to date? should I update it?

WoW.. Learning by the post!!! hehehe
    Once again Thanks fellas!!!

PS.: Where do i go for sound card help???

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

driver?

ummm...from the output of your lsmod, it looks like the driver the you had loaded for that 3com card should work, all you have to do is configure it.
    You can grab one of these new drivers (patches) if you want, but that would require you to grab the source to a vanilla (non-redhat, as that will be different) 2.4.22 kernel from www.kernel.org, run the patch over that, recompile and install the new kernel. This might give you a better quality driver but I wouldn't bother with going through that without actually giving the driver (3c2000) that you have loaded now a go. If you can't get linuxconf to work, the simplest way to setup this network card would be to run "ifconfig eth1 192.168.9.9" (or whatever IP you want to give it). What that previous suggestion of "ifconfig eth1 up" would have done (as you might have surmised) was read some configuration files and set that network card's IP based on what was in them - but obviously you don't have those files, so all it did was start up your card without giving it an IP (rendering it as useful, for all intents and purposes, as tits on a bull). Each distro has their own system of naming and locating these config files, and I didn't use redhat for that long that I could remember what it was like (besides, it's probably changed since then), which is why I suggested using linuxconf to set your eth1 IP permanently - unless you find some way to do this, you'll have to run "ifconfig eth1 <IP>" each time you want to use that card after booting your machine.

Oh yeah, just one last thing that you probably have surmised - when you remove the realtek card, the 3c one will become eth0 again.

HTH

-d

Just Joined!
    I got lost a little in the beggining of your replay about
    You can grab one of these new drivers (patches) if you want, but that would require you to grab the source to a vanilla (non-redhat, as that will be different) 2.4.22 kernel from www.kernel.org, run the patch over that, recompile and install the new kernel.
    but the rest makes perfect sence...

Just Joined!
    hey guess what guys... I don't know what happened but i booted RH today and 3c2000 decided to werk... wtf... i guess this is good but i don't know what i did that made it work.

Now i don't know if anyone is still reading this thread but now I'm having the same problem as some other guys i have seen post... i can't go to certain web sites... namely Google Wtf???

Gonna start research on that now i guess

Try accessing it by IP -> http://216.239.39.99/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol Man
    Try accessing it by IP -> http://216.239.39.99/
    Thanks Ol Man will do... not home rigth now please leave a mess err... wrong machine... uhh i'm not home but will do that at around 6pm BOSTON USA time. by the way where are you Loc??? :banghead:

If you can access google via IP, then you're having a problem with your DNS servers, and it's not necessarilly your box.

There's already a post reguarding where everyone is located (and I just bumped it):
    http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...ic.php?p=10109
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    If you can access google via IP, then you're having a problem with your DNS servers, and it's not necessarilly your box.
    thing is, I have linux installed in a drive that i swap in and out of my pc... ( haven't gotten to do dual boot yet ) and when i put in my winxp drive, my home page is goolge and it goes there right away. Never have i had a problem going to google with my isp ( comcast ). but with 3c2000 It never logs on to google.. I don't know what other sites it does not want to log onto cause have not spent that much time with RH 9.0 ohh and one note... when i had the realtek card installed it did not have that problem.... I could go anywhere with the realtek card. will post some more later...

Ok Ignore above.... I guess I realy was just having a dns problem at the time... I just booted linux and guess what... I can go on to google the redular way.... i set that as my home page and as soon as i start Mozilla it werks... WTF :rock: :banghead: .... I just don't know what to say....

... where do I post about RED HATS decision to dump us RH users he??? I would like to know what the EliteLinux Users think about Red Hat dumping us in the trash????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast