Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
guys just want to ask... if im going to follow the steps in the READ me text file of the nvidia driver, how many percent will the installation be successful? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

nvidia driver

guys just want to ask... if im going to follow the steps in the READ me text file of the nvidia driver, how many percent will the installation be successful? ? ? coz il be depending on the textfile for me to be able to install the driver... thanks in advance
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

should be a 90% success

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Linux Newbie
    so wts the remaining 10% ?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Quote Originally Posted by icedtea
    so wts the remaining 10% ?
    90% success is usually due to a misread step or bad luck, sometimes even both.

However, if you are not comefortable with the nvidia readme file, follow this tutorial to get the nvidia card working.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Linux Newbie

help help!! cant login to X!!

sir i followd the instructions given on the link you gave... i have already changed my xorg.conf but when i type startx (using root and "me")

here is the message :

Undefined device "nvidia" reference by Screen "Screen 1"

(EE) problem parsing the config file
    (EE) errror parsing the config file

note: before i install the dirver, i have already config my driver to the nvidia gneric driver in xorg.. hmm is there a relationship with this?

as far as i could remember here is the content of Screen 1

Screen "Screen 1"
    Device "nvidia"
    Monitor "AOC"

something like that...

i need your help...

is my ndvidia driver really installed? ? ?
    i checked my /dev the results for /dev/nvidia is:

nvida0 up to nvidia7

try running xorgconfig as root and reconfigure your graphics system. Also do you have a dual monitor setup? If you have a single monitor setup, it shouldn't be asking for Screen 1, it should be Screen 0.

Linux Newbie
    i have only a single monitor setup.. also i configrd xorg using root... pls help so wat m i going to do?

try changing it to screen 0 maybe?

Linux Newbie
    ok il try that... BUT y when im still using the generic nvidia, (with screen1) is the name for screen, i have not encountered any problem? ONLY when i run the nvidia driver...there came one..

Looking at your PC specs, it says you have a geforce 2 card. Now, which version of nvidia driver are you trying to install? IIRC, nvidia stopped supporting geforce2 based cards back in the 7174 driver. You can download it here

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast