Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello; my name is Tomas and this is my (second) problem: I just installed Ubuntu Breezy at home, and then added the (binary) ATI "fglrx" drivers (I have a Radeon ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3D acceleration not working for my Radeon 9600 (in Ubuntu)

Hello; my name is Tomas and this is my (second) problem:

I just installed Ubuntu Breezy at home, and then added the (binary) ATI "fglrx" drivers (I have a Radeon 9600 XT).

The thing is it doesn't seem like 3D acceleration is working: OpenGL screensavers (and PlanetPenguin Racer, which I downloaded for test purposes) work really really slow, so I guess something must be wrong.

I already tried to (re)configure the card using ATI's commandline tool, but nothing changed. And I also searched Synaptic for some other utility, but couldn't find any.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong? And BTW, is there any way to tell for sure if hardware acceleration is working or not?

Thanks in advance!

Tomas Pineda
    tomas.pineda@gmail.com

PS: I'm sorry for the double post, but I couldn't decide which forum was the most suitable.

Linux Newbie
    Here's a link. As I recall, ATI's Linux drivers are pretty weak compared to GeForce's and IIRC you should not expect to get the same performance out of your card as if you were using Windows drivers. Read up on it here.
    --Dachnaz [Fuzzy Llama]

Just Joined!
    First of all, thanks for your help. I finally got 3D acceleration working!

Just after I posted this message, I read about glxinfo in another forum (it was a sticky in LinuxForumDotCom, so I tested it... and it said there was no 3D acceleration.

Then I found and read jpalfree's howto (here at linuxforums.org), but I had already done all of that, so I didn't know what to do next.

Fiddling with Synaptic (search: fglrx), I found linux-restricted-modules, which claimed to provide non-free modules (including fglrx) for the Linux kernel... I installed that, and now everything works.

Thanks again!

Just Joined!
    I'm experiencing the same problem. can someone walk me through it? or give me some suggestions?

Hi and Welcome zquintana !

This thread is pretty old. I would suggest you to start a new thread in appropriate forum and explain your problem in detail. Sorry for inconvenience.
    Thread Locked.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First