Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am relatively new to linux and have played with Debain, Red Hat, Fedora and most recently SuSe 10. Usually, I install one of these platforms on an old PIII ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Building a New 64-Bit Desktop for Linux...

I am relatively new to linux and have played with Debain, Red Hat, Fedora and most recently SuSe 10. Usually, I install one of these platforms on an old PIII with 1.5GB of memory.

However, I always wind up running back to my Windows machine which is running a 3.2HT P4 (32bit) with 2048GB of RAM and SATA RAID0 - Which of course runs circles around the old PIII.

I really want to give Linux a true chance and am considering building a newer machine just for Linux (hopefully 64-Bit). However, I have been having trouble finding info on a newer board that is supported (or known to work with out to much trouble) under Linux.

I have checked SuSe Compatabilty site, multiple Linux Hardware sites, ASUS, ABIT, ECS, SuperMicro, Intel - and have been only able to find newer boards which are server class (Xeon, etc). Most of the sites refer to older desktop boards which have been retired and are no longer for sale.

So, what I am looking for is a newer board (does not have to be the very latest) - but at a minimum of 2.8Ghz or up with 64 Bit Support and SATA. I have a preference for Intel - but at this point would consider AMD.

Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Linux User
    I'm not sure to fully understand ur request. But some distros: mandriva suse and debian afaik got a hardware base. That is to say: u enter the name of a piece and the base told u if it is supported or not.
    And now linux is fully 64bits compliant

My system (specs in signature) works quite well in 32-bit and 64-bit Linux. One thing you'll want to watch is RAID though. I don't know of anyone who's successfully set up RAID in Linux.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Yeah, I read about the problems with RAID - esp w/ ICH7. I was going to stick with simple SATA Hard Drives in Non-RAID (for now, anyway).

I checked Novell SuSe's database for hardware and well.... let's just say its a little out of date - for motherboards anyway.

So, what I am looking for is motherboard recommendations for a 64-bit Linux install - SuSe 10 to be specific. I am not to worried about sound, video, or the add-ons as those seem to be easy to find info on.

I have also discovered it is easy to find info on what motherboard not to buy - but very little info on recommended motherboards.

Just Joined!
    techieMoe - What motherboard is your set-up using?

Quote Originally Posted by Murnux
    techieMoe - What motherboard is your set-up using?
    I've used two: an MSI K8N-NeoFSR and an ASUS K8V-x. The one I am using currently is the ASUS board. The MSI board worked, but it had some strange boot issues with the USB ports. (I have reviews of both boards on my site).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks I'll check them out... and the site too!

Just Joined!
    Great Site! Your review of Vista is dead on accurate! I ran the beta myself and well... lets just say I've just had enough of MS and the usual companies that put out junk software to run on it.

It's Linux time for me!

I see you like Mandravia. I have heard many good things about it so I am going to give it a try too.

I want to convert all my computers to Linux - but want to stick with one distribution like Mandravia or SuSe.

I'll look at those boards you mentioned.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I found this site that has a listing of tested ASUS boards with linux:

http://www.linux-tested.com/results_servera.html

My only problem with it is they do not say which version of the releases they used to test.

But any way I am thinking about putting together the following:

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
    2 Gigs Corsair 3500LLPROXMS
    Asus EN6800GT 256MB (GeForce 6800 GT)
    Western Digital SATA 320GB 7200RPM 16MB Buffer

Do you think SuSe 10 or Mandriva 2006 will get along with this set up?