Find the answer to your Linux question:
Right now, I have a Linux system with a 40GB hard drive. I'd like to replace the hard drive with a 160GB hard drive, and use the 40GB in another ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Cloning a hard drive

Right now, I have a Linux system with a 40GB hard drive. I'd like to replace the hard drive with a 160GB hard drive, and use the 40GB in another system. Is there anyway in which I can duplicate the 40GB onto the 160GB? I'd like to be able to copy everything over to the 160GB and essentially have an identical system when I am done. All other hardware is staying the same, so I don't anticipate any problems with drivers and whatnot. Also, the drives are both Samsung drives of the same model family--the only difference is the capacity.

Just Joined!
    Youve said a bit about the old/new disk sizes, but not how the old is partitioned, and how you want to translate this to the newer space.

A range of tools is available under linux for doing the job, once it has been specified clearly - dd, cpio, tar ...

Alternatively you can go outside and get, for example a CD with the stuff ready to use so all you have to do is boot it and use it
    System Rescue CD
    Ultimate Boot CD

Just Joined!
    The 40GB is partitioned with LVM under Fedora Core 4.