Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just got a new computer and am having trouble installing RH 9. It tells me it can't detect my hard drive. Just wondering if there are any patches or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Serial ATA hard drive compatibility issue

I just got a new computer and am having trouble installing RH 9. It tells me it can't detect my hard drive. Just wondering if there are any patches or anything I can get to fix this. My comp doesn't have an OS and I really want to use it!

Linux User
    First thing to check, is it connected properly? No loose cable? Jumper set correctly?

If so, when you go into your bios (usually hit DEL on boot), does it detect a hard drive? Can you manually select one?
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!

Everything is connected just fine. My BIOS detects it fine. It just seems to be RH 9 that doesn't recognize it or something.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Hmm, strange. Where did you get the RH cds from - did you download the isos?

Did you run Redhat's little disk integrity check to make sure they aren't corrupted?

Not sure what else could be causing it...
    \"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.\"
    Albert Einstein

Just Joined!
    I got them from a RH 9 users book. I think the problem is that the kernel RH 9 has doesn't yet support the Serial ATA hard drive, so I need a patch for it, I am pretty sure there is one out there, I just can't find it.

BTW Thanks for all the help.

Just Joined!

Hello Cuddlez,
    I was wondering if you ware able to install RH 9 on Serial ATA drive? If you know anything about installing(e.g. get patch or something) RH 9 on SATA please let me know.

Regards,
    adu14