Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, topic says the most. When type the poweroff command to shut down the computer, it gives a bad EIP value (whatever that means) with alot of digits above the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

poweroff problem, Bad EIP Value with redhat 8.0 on an Amd k6

Well, topic says the most. When type the poweroff command to shut down the computer, it gives a bad EIP value (whatever that means) with alot of digits above the error. It happens right after it closed down al the services and is about to going to turn off the power. Any suggestions?

Edit:
    Maybe some specs will do the trick :P
    Amd k6-400
    I believe its an appolo motherboard, with a via or sis chipset, I'm not sure.
    Edo 128 mb ram
    Basic vid, I do not believe it has something to do with that but if you want it I'll open up the case.
    And a 6,4g maxtor hard drive.

Linux User
    The BiosPNP support in kernel 2.4.8 is broken for the KT266A chipset

Add the "nobiospnp" option to every "append=" line in lilo.conf, then run /sbin/lilo, and reboot.

I found this info doing a Google search... See if it helps

If not, then a kernel upgrade seems to fix it..

Just Joined!
    I searched for the lilo.conf couldnt find it, so I guess I still have to create it.. where do I do that?

Edit: after my liet skills in linux tried to exec the lilo, it printed it couldnt find /etc/lilo.conf so that answers my question... But now what to do? I dont have any append= lines :s

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    as root do a "updatedb" then "locate lilo.conf"

If it cannot find it, then i imagine it's using Grub. I know nothing about grub and will have to hand this one off to someone else.

It Should be in /etc/lilo.conf

Just Joined!
    yep, its using grub

any1 ideas for grub?

Linux Engineer
    edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the option to the kernel line in each boot section... just tack it on the end of the line after the other options and such.. here's my grub.conf for reference.. i'll add a note to where the option should go.
    Code:
    default 0
    fallback 1
    timeout 10
    splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#title=Gentoo kernel 2.4.20-r7
    #root (hd1,0)
    #kernel &#40;hd1,0&#41;/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/hda3 <add the option here> hdd=ide-scsi vga=791
    #initrd &#40;hd1,0&#41;/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r7

title=Gentoo kernel 2.4.20-r8
    root &#40;hd1,0&#41;
    kernel &#40;hd1,0&#41;/boot/kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/hda3 hdd=ide-scsi vga=791 <and/or here>
    initrd &#40;hd1,0&#41;/boot/initrd-2.4.20-gentoo-r7

title=Windows 98SE
    root &#40;hd0,0&#41;
    chainloader &#40;hd0,0&#41;+1
    hth..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    tried that, didnt work -> I do found this though:

"Building a kernel with the apm real mode power down option might work better"

So how can I build myself a kernel, or better... edit the current kernel with some tool and add that option? (maybe I need to ask this in an other forum)

Linux Engineer
    hello.. a quick search of the forums found this post:
    http://www.this_site_does_not_exist/...compile+kernel
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    ty, should have searched myself

Linux Engineer
    eh, no big deal.. i'm sure we've all done it :P