Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard, which uses Soundstorm audio. In my kernel, i have DeSelected all sound modules except for the Nvidia one. Sound works fine, and lsmod shows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Anyone using the Nforce2 chipset??

I have the Asus A7N8X motherboard, which uses Soundstorm audio.

In my kernel, i have DeSelected all sound modules except for the Nvidia one.
    Sound works fine, and lsmod shows the nvaudio module loaded.

Now, when ever i start a song or movie of any type. I notice that it says this...

Checking audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 44100Hz/2ch/16bit...
    AF_pre: af format: 2 bps, 2 ch, 44100 hz, little endian signed int
    AF_pre: 44100Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian)
    AO: [oss] 48000Hz 2ch Signed 16-bit (Little-Endian) (2 bps)
    Building audio filter chain for 44100Hz/2ch/16bit -> 48000Hz/2ch/16bit...
    Thats only running 2 channels? My audio is 6 Channel, surround sound, Dolby Digital.... I'm getting jipped!

Normaly you would not notice it anyway, but i have my box connected to the Big screen TV and have the audio running into a surround sound system, that is only sending sound out 2 speakers.

Anyone able to get full use out of this??

Linux Engineer
    have you tried using the ALSA drivers instead of the OSS drivers in the kernel? to use them you have to disable *all* the cards and build sound support as a module.. then you install the ALSA drivers and add then add ALSA to the daemons run at boot time, before you switch to runlevel 3 or 5...That might help fix it.. from what i understand, the ALSA drivers are much better than OSS..
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr