Find the answer to your Linux question:
guys i was once told that after i create a new partition, i should also make use of sync.. i found very few info on google. . .cn somebody explain ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

what is SYNC? ? ?

guys i was once told that after i create a new partition, i should also make use of sync.. i found very few info on google. . .cn somebody explain to me wat does SYNC do? ? thanks
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Just Joined!
    Flushes the buffers so that the disk has a fully up-to-date version of any changes made to it.

Linux Newbie
    so considering i have created the new partition USING CFDISK.. when and where i would type sync? ?
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

sync just forces the file system buffers to flush. it should be synced automatically every n seconds (depends on FS and configs I'd guess) and on umounting.
    So, simle answer, when you need to make sure that all disk writes are commited - eg, before doing something that possibly could crash the kernel (like forcefully unloading kernel modules).
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

You could specify it in /etc/fstab as an filesystem option. Very handy for floppy drives and usbsticks which can be ejected/pulled of unexpectedly.
    I\'m so tired .....