Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just want to know what's the best graphics card that works with linux. is it ati or nvidia? Are there (less than $200) graphics cards that work with linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

graphics hardware questions

I just want to know what's the best graphics card that works with linux.
    is it ati or nvidia?
    Are there (less than $200) graphics cards that work with linux with 3d acceleration? (just to know if i wanted to buy a new pc with a graphics card)

another question is that my monitor stays at 60 HZ at 1024. I have linux slackware 10 now and I can't change the refresh rate (I tried to cahnge it form the xconfig file and the xserver didn't run!) I also tried xvidtune and it said "Video modes are not settable on this chip) I have ati rage pro 4mb's !!!(integrated!)

oz
    forum.guy
    I think there might be a poll here somewhere that members voted in regarding best video card, and if I remember correctly, the nVidia card won the vote. That's not to say it's the best, but only to say more people voted for it as best. I use nVidia and have never had issues with them under Linux.

Just Joined!

what next?

thanx, what about the next question?!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oz
    forum.guy
    Well, I looked for the poll and can't find it. Quite often, you'll find that the best of anything to do with Linux depends on who you ask.

Yes, there should be plenty of video cards under $200 that can handle 3d accel. Take a look over at www.newegg.com for some of their cards, and prices.

Did you run "xorgconfig" as root in Slackware to set up your video card properly?

Just Joined!

forget it

I ran "xorgconfig" before and I still couldn't put the refresh rate higher than 60 HZ
    I ran it now and I couldn't run the xserver when I restarted it (I'm on widows now ) I can fixit my self again! it seems that the linux driver doesn't support that mode for my stupid graphics card.

how did you know that I have to run "xorgconfig" ? (I tried hard to find "XF86CONFIG" but in vain!)

As for the graphics cards, I liked to know which ones can run games with 3d acceleration, because I had a Nvidia tnt2 a while ago and I couldn't run 3d apps!

thanx so much,

Just Joined!

I got the driver

you don't have to tell me how to setup Nvidia now because I don't hve it!
    I got the correct driver and it still didn't work, maybe it was the kernel or the distro...
    nevermind...that was a long time ago!

Banned
    definetly nvidia based, up to you which one