Find the answer to your Linux question:
This christmas, by giving away my current computer, I managed to get my total budget up on 1,275 dollars, which should be enough to buy a new machine. However I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

buying a new computer

This christmas, by giving away my current computer, I managed to get my total budget up on 1,275 dollars, which should be enough to buy a new machine.

However I don't exactly know where to start, or where to buy. So I was woundering if anyone in here could give me some advice?

Under my bed I already have an nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra laying around, waiting to be installed (since my current computer can't use it, because of the power supply is not powerfull enough). So It'd be nice if I would be able to install that in the new PC.

Also I'd rather go for an Athlon 64 processor than a Pentium 4. Just a preference, not a requirement.

And if it's possible, I'd like to be able to go dual screen, since I have two monitors already. But I have no idea how that works or what is required.

So I already have a graphics card, and two monitors, I just need the rest of the machine and all the parts to work together (a motherboard that supports my graphics card).

I already have a version of Linux, but I'm gonna need a 64-bit version of Windows too for EXE files!

Any ideas on where to buy and what to buy?

Thanks in advance! =)
    And please excuse any bad grammar, I'm not natively english.

(And if this is in the wrong section, please move it, I couldnt see anywhere more fit since I'm new here)

Linux Enthusiast
    With the equipment you already have, have you considered building your own box? As for processors, I just received a new machine with the new Pentium-D processor which is dual core. Talk about screaming! With $1200.00 +, you can build a decent machine to leverage your existing video card and monitors.

Just Joined!
    I guess I would do that, but I have never done that before, and I don't wan't to hurt my hardware or ruin anything. And also, I have no idea what I need to buy and where I can buy them! Which components do I need?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Is your graphic card AGP or PCIe ? That will decide which kind of motherboard you will be able to get.

Many computers stores will build you a custom machine to your taste, in exchange for a small fee (around 75$), even if you don't buy the pieces there (it's free when you buy the components there). I use to work at this store and we did that every day.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thats a pretty cool feuture (sp?)! I don't know if any of my local computer stores do that.

And the system requirements on the side of the box said the card required an "AGP 4x/8x" port. Is this the right info?

Yep, so make sure you buy a motherboard with an AGP slot, as most new motherboards don't have one.

Look around the prices on the internet. Call/visit/check on the web local stores to get their price list.

You basically need those things:
    CPU (notice the socket number, ex: AMD Athlon 64 is 939)
    Motherboard (with the matching CPU socket, and an AGP slot)
    DVD burner
    Power Supply
    Case
    RAM
    Hard Drive

The manufacturer's web site is always the place to go if you need to know which product as the features you want.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Thanks alot! I'll look out for these parts!

I found a good site for finding the parts, so the rest shouldnt be a problem.

Thanks a bunch guys!