Find the answer to your Linux question:
What does the libusb location of a device depend on? My scanner alternates between being at 002:003 and 002:004, in between unplugging it to use a different USB device, even ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Someone explain libusb locations

What does the libusb location of a device depend on? My scanner alternates between being at 002:003 and 002:004, in between unplugging it to use a different USB device, even if I plug it back into the same USB port that it was in before (yes, I should have a hub).

I have to specify that location in snapscan.conf, but what I changed it to last night isn't where the computer thinks it is this morning. (Even if I change snapscan.conf again to reflect the current location, I still get an I/O error.)

Linux Enthusiast
    Hello again,

You shouldn't need to specify the location of the USB device, sane will probe usb devices for scanners.

To answer your question, I'm pretty sure its a simple increment, i.e. if device 003 is attached to hub 002 (002:003) the next device will be numbered 004 on that hub, even if it is the same device being removed and re-added.

Hope that helps,

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.