Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Your external mo9dem, if it plugsw inbto your serial (Com1,2,3...) port, will appear as /dev/ttyS0,1,2,3... (ie. the number after ttyS is one less than the corresponding Windows Com port). You ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Your external mo9dem, if it plugsw inbto your serial (Com1,2,3...) port, will appear as /dev/ttyS0,1,2,3... (ie. the number after ttyS is one less than the corresponding Windows Com port). You can, if you wish, re-create the symbolic link from /dev/modem to the relevant /dev/ttySn (where the n is the number it takes on your PC).

If you plug your external modem into a USB port, then I'm afraid that I can't help you.

As to the internal modem driver. It should make no difference whatsoever (famous last words). All the driver does is take a feed from a PCI card and present it to Linux in the same fashion as a "normal" serial socket/plug.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie

just a clarification

so sir nerderello, u mean that i can configure my external modem (after pluggin it in the serial port) using kppp? coz i have checked it, (the user can create a setting for a modem..my current settings is placed on ttySHSF0 coz its the internal one and using the FREE driver from linuxant)
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

that's right. Change the kppp modem device to the /dev/ttySn (where the n is replaced by the number (counting from zero) that corresponds to the serial port that you plug the external modem into (so, if you only have a single serial port, this will be known as /dev/ttyS0 , or Com1 in Window-speak).

hope this explains.

Nerderello

ps. I never got past the rank of Corporal, so less of the "sir".

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Newbie
    im changing my internal modem.. with FREE driver from linuxant to an external one.. do i need to uninstall the free driver also? how can i configure my external modem? here is the info about my FREE MODEM driver from linuxant... Config for modem unit 0: /dev/ttySHSF0 Device instance: 0-PCI-14f1:2f00-14f1:2004 HW revision : Basic2 2.18 Standard DAA 3VoltsIA HW profile name: hsfpcibasic2hsfi Registration ID: E492-CEBB-7F44 License status : FREE (max 14.4kbps data only) Current region : PHILIPPINES (T.35 code: 0089) i am using KPPP, slack 10.2

hmm i have successfully used the external modem.. i just configured a new modem settings in KPPP Used /dev/ttyS0 as my modem port and that's it...

THANK YOU SO MUCH SIR NERDERELLO!!!
    P4 1.8, 1G DDR ram, 64mb GF2 MX400, 80G WD and 40G Maxtor, ECS mobo. Playing XP,Slack 12.0 and Vector Linux 5.8 GOLD, STD 6.0 Zenwalk 4.6.1, OpenBSD 3.9

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2