Find the answer to your Linux question:
So..I've updated to xorg 7.0 and I installed the xf86-video-ati package, which i thought would have my drivers. i read up later to find out the drivers are up to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Xorg 7.0 and Radeon 9800 Pro

So..I've updated to xorg 7.0 and I installed the xf86-video-ati package, which i thought would have my drivers. i read up later to find out the drivers are up to radeon 9600's, so i'm left with no 3d acceleration

has anyone gotten xorg 7.0 to work with a radeon 9700/9800 using 3d acceleration? if so, how?

thanks in advance!

I use arch linux btw...but any responses are appreciated. i'll try to figure out a way if someone using another distro got it

Linux Enthusiast
    *bump*
    anyone? any thoughts?

Sorry, I can't help but my question for you is, did you compile xorg 7.0 by hand because Arch current has 6.8.2 and testing has 6.9.0?

Sorry I can't help but I'm curious.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Sorry, I can't help but my question for you is, did you compile xorg 7.0 by hand because Arch current has 6.8.2 and testing has 6.9.0?

Sorry I can't help but I'm curious.

Bryan
    To use xorg 7.0, you enable the testing repo and update xorg and it'll ask if you want to replace xorg with xorg-server. xorg-server is xorg 7.0

**warning: you will need to add more packages for video and input drivers, since xorg 7.0 is modular and everything does not come in one package. my list of added packages for my ati-based card and peripherals was: xf86-video-fbdev, xf86-video-vesa (or was it xf86-video-vga??), xf86-video-ati, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-mouse

when you first try starting X, after running xorgconfig, you'll be prompted with a list of packages that need to be installed (or are missing). just install those and you'll be set. that's how i found out about the ones i needed

Hmmm....the package search at the website says 6.9.0 (in testing) so that's why I was confused.

I look forward to using a modularized xorg...not really. I don't want to have to worry about various packages. Ah well, when 6.9.0 or 7.0 hits current, I guess I will have no choice.

Sorry, I will stop hijacking your thread.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Hmmm....the package search at the website says 6.9.0 so that's why I was confused.

I look forward to using a modularized xorg...not really. I don't want to have to worry about various packages. Ah well, when 6.9.0 or 7.0 hits current, I guess I will have no choice.

Sorry, I will stop hijacking your thread.

Bryan
    it's alright...glad i can help some.

it's not that bad...it's actually pretty quick/stable. i would wait til your graphics card drivers are supplied from the manufacturer (ati for example). that's what i'm doing. i've since reinstalled and am waiting for ati drivers that support xorg 7.0 now

i've since switched back to xorg 6.8.2 and am using the ati-drivers supplied with arch

how would you get xorg 6.9? i've looked for it but don't know how to get it? unstable?

Linux Engineer
    On Zenwalk we are using 6.9.0 now as most recent version; I must say many people have trouble getting ATi's or nVidia's drivers to work with it. We have a highly experimental 7.0 version, and I didn't get far at all with that... I had to recompile the login manager, and then again fluxbox even didn't load. Bit too much.

I think (or at least hope) the GPU manufacturers will update their drivers quickly.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **