Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, i just got this belkin router, with modem. it's the 7633-4 UK model and it won't let me connect to the internet. i've set everything up correctly, and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

damn router!

ok, i just got this belkin router, with modem. it's the 7633-4 UK model and it won't let me connect to the internet. i've set everything up correctly, and the router tells me that it's connected to the internet. however, when i try to access websites or the internet in general it doesn't work. just to clarify:
    -the computer finds the router perfectly. pinging and connecting via firefox work without any problems
    -when i ping www.google.com (or any domain), it returns "cannot find google.com" or the equivalent
    -when i ping 64.233.183.104 (google's IP address), all the ping packets are dropped, recording 100% packet loss

i'm assuming that after the router receives the packet but never sends it. also, i've noticed that MRU MTU and MSS are missing from the setup screen. it's possible that it isn't let me login into my ISP because of this. any advice for fixing it would greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: by setting my IP address to automatic i'm now able to access the internet. however, i still cannot access the DNS, forcing me to use IP addresses instead of the proper domain names. at least that's narrowed it down, so anyone got any ideas on how to fix the DNS?
    Last edited by d38dm8nw81k1ng; 01-24-2006 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Update
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

ok, a third revelation. i tried it on my laptop, it worked perfectly. i tried it on suse on my desktop... worked perfectly. tried gentoo... failed. i suppose this is now a gentoo problem rather than a hardware problem. i originally though i'd set the DNS to override the router's settings, but i know i haven't since gentoo's network settings are set to "nodns". ok, what else could the problem be?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!
    i might be misunderstanding, but AFAIK your GENTOO Operating System should have its DNS Server address set to something specified by your ISP or it should be set to the IP of your Router (that is if the router automatical;y receives the DNS server IP from your ISP).

This is rather a long shot, and I may not have understood you completely. However, try this just to see what happens:

In Firefox:

- type about:config in the Navbar/address bar and hit Enter then;
    - look for network.dns.disableIPv6 - right-click and toggle to true

Restart Firefox

Does that help with URL access?

Edit: I had a DNS access problem last year, and the above information is the result of two weeks hard work! It sorted the problem out. I found that I didn't have a problem if I tried to access sites using Konqueror.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso