Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an AMD64 3700+, but my system detects its architecture as i686, not x86_64. anyone encountered a similar problem, or just know how to fix it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

uname gets my architecture wrong

I have an AMD64 3700+, but my system detects its architecture as i686, not x86_64. anyone encountered a similar problem, or just know how to fix it?

What distribution do you have? Also, was it a 64-bit or 32-bit installation? Some 64-bit distributions change the output of uname to 'i686' so that scripts designed for 32-bit X86 processors won't tank when it returns 'x86_64' as the architecture.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Mandriva 2006, 32 bit, trying to get a 64 bit kernel. when I try to use kpackage to install it, I get a message that this package is intended for 64 bit architecture. urpmi does not work at all.

Why are you trying to run a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit install? Why not just install the 64-bit version of Mandriva?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I am trying to upgrade the whole thing, but I prefer not to reinstall unless I have to.

Stick around and see if anyone else knows about this, but I'm not sure it's possible to upgrade a 32-bit install to a 64-bit one. I could be wrong. Either way it's probably easier just to install the 64-bit OS fresh.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I'm surprised the original 32 bit installed at all - most installs I've seen the installer yell at you when trying to put a 32 bit OS on 64 hardware!

I would agree, I think a reinstall is necessary. It would be a really messy hack, otherwise.

DT