Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys well I have been considering updating my ati radeon 9200 agp video card for a while now and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestions for a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

nvidia pci-express w/tv out recommendations

Hey guys well I have been considering updating my ati radeon 9200 agp video card for a while now and I was wondering if anyone has a suggestions for a nvida based card with tv/out that they have used or had friends use that works well under linux. I know that generally nvidia is pretty linux friendly but I really want tv/out to work well and something that can handle the newer games in windows too.

I was thinking abouth 6800 chipset or the 7800 if I can pony up the money.
    So let me know the cards and manufacturers you have used and the successes and tribulations faced with them.

Thanks in advance.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

*bump*----------------------
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

The only time I had any problems with nVidia cards and the official drivers was when I was trying to get a 5600 (I think that was the chip) working but it was so new that the drivers didn't support it. I have a 6600/summat in my desktop PC (soon to be out again... cant wait!) and that works extremely well.

All I'd really suggest is that you check out the supported chipsets listed for the NVidia drivers, just to be certain that your card will be OK. Other than that, dont go for bleeding edge; bang-per-buck ratios are better in the 'serious gamer' category rather than the 'latest and gratest' category.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    So would you say that going with a 6800 would be safer than the 7800 series. Since I believe 7800 is one of the, if not the, newest nvidia cards our there? Thanks for your reply.

Also did tv out work for you if you had it on any of those cards?

The 7800 is the sweeter card; if it's listed as supported, then there should be no problem getting it to work.

My 6800 card (a different card again...) has vivo, but I never tried to get this to work. If I booted Linux with it connected to a TV it just hung during the startup. I never investigated further, as it held no interest for me, I just disconnected the TV!
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

cool thanks for your insight.

Still if anyone else has had any other experiences with nvidia 6800/7800 and tv out please let me know.