Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone. im trying to recover a bunch of 320gig harddrives using dd_rescue, using Suse linux. most of the drives recovered just fine, but on some of them i always ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

dd_rescue problems

Hello everyone.

im trying to recover a bunch of 320gig harddrives using dd_rescue, using Suse linux. most of the drives recovered just fine, but on some of them i always get errors like the following:

hde: dma_intr: status=0x51
    hde: dma_intr: error=0x1 {AddrMarkNotFound]

that ^ repeates many many times with slightly different errors, then i get this

ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hde: DMA disabled
    PDC202XX Primary Channel reset
    ide2: reset: success

and then the computer completely locks up and i cant do anything. I realize there are going to be errors, as they are bad hard drives.

It only seems to lock up after this part of the errors
    ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    hde: DMA disabled
    PDC202XX Primary Channel reset
    ide2: reset: success

so my question is, can i STOP the kernel from doing the ide2 and or Primary channel resets? i think if i can stop that, i can just let the errors keep goign and dd_rescue can continue. any help will be greatly apreciated, thanks

I have already tried using hdparm to disable DMA, i get the same results only it freezes faster (i guess because it skips te dma stuff)

Just Joined!
    bump. Does anyone know how to stop the IDE bus master from doing a "Primary channel reset"