Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a KVM switch problem of which the symptom can be described as follows: I start up both computers (DSL and Win9 and when switching from DSL to Win98 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

KVM switch problem

I have a KVM switch problem of which the symptom can be described as follows: I start up both computers (DSL and Win9 and when switching from DSL to Win98 and back I notice that the mouse does not work anymore (in DSL that is). It is a hardware switch, ie a collection of wires connecting socket to socket and no other circuitry. Has anyone encountered this problem before and what was the remedy?

Thanks in advance

technossomy

Linux User
    I believe this problem is now solved. I have installed FC4 on the machine and switching between Win98 and FC4 now operates as intended.

Perhaps someone could elaborate on the fact that the display looks more coarse with a switch than without one. Perhaps it is to do with the increased impedance in the cabling.

Admin: I did not insert that smilie purposefully and I have not been able to remove it while I was typing the first post as it was not visible in the edit screen and 'No icon' was enabled. Is this is a bug or known annoyance?

Tech

I use a KVM switch and I don't notice any difference.
    I have had no problems with the mouse that were kvm related.
    I have a Zonet Kvm3002 2 port switch.

As for the smiley, an 8 followed by a ) will give you
    The only way to stop this is by using [code] tags.

Code:
    8)
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Thanks budman7, useful to know.

Tech

Just Joined!
    It could be that you're driving the display differently with the switch in place. If you can, look at the monitor in each case to see what frequencies and resolutions are being used.

I found that, if the Windows settings were for auto, and the monitor wasn't switched to it on boot, that it would adopt some default settings, and give worse results.