Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've had an iPod nano running fine on Linux for a while. i'd been using gtkpod without any problems. However, recently something has started happening. It seems that the ability ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

iPod Nano issues

i've had an iPod nano running fine on Linux for a while. i'd been using gtkpod without any problems.

However, recently something has started happening. It seems that the ability to write the the iPod times out after a while. If i'm copying music to it it'll get so far then give me a write error.

Even if i'm running it in disk-mode and just copying files from it as a USB hard drive the same thing happens; after a while it'll stop and error.

Has anyone come across this or have any ideas where i should start looking? Are there any updates for the iPod that i need or any that might have caused it?
    Registered Linux User #379728

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Have you tried using this Nano on a windows box?

Yeah, i have now and it works fine in XP. i've tried it in both SuSE 9.2 and 10.0 (which has pretty groovy iPod support) and the same thing happens; after a while it just stops being able to write to it.

SuSE 10.3 :: Athlon XP 3000+ :: AsRock K7VT4A Pro :: Nvidia Geforce 6600GT :: C-Media 8738

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

Update: After tailing /var/log/messages i end up with:

Code:
    Feb 21 21:09:42 Bedroom kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 15334
    Feb 21 21:09:42 Bedroom kernel: lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
    Feb 21 21:15:45 Bedroom kernel: FAT: bread(block 112) in fat_access failed
    Feb 21 21:15:45 Bedroom kernel: scsi3 (0:0): rejecting I/O to offline device

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

For anyone interested it appears to be an issue with the USB ports (or the drivers for such) rather than anything else. It was a front-mounted port connected to the MoBo; connecting directly to one at the back fixed it.

www.psypherpunk.org.uk

i'm a newbie to linux running suse 10.0, and an ex-windozer, from a windows aspect though sounds like maybe the usb drivers need to be updated as it sounds like they have gotten corrupt some how?? i don't know if something like this can happen in linux, but if you can uninstall and reinstall the usb drivers I guess would be a logical solution in windows, I have no idea how to do something like that in a linux environment if it can be even done at all........otherwise i've been using amarok for my nano and everything seems to be running smooth, i was ironically having more problems with gtk pod instead with all kinds of errors and what not. I find amarok a lot easier to use and configure as well...
    hope that helps...