Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I just got a SATA drive just for the fact that it was a 200GB drive for $50, actually it was my dad, but he gave it to me. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

SATA PCI Card compatibility

So I just got a SATA drive just for the fact that it was a 200GB drive for $50, actually it was my dad, but he gave it to me. The deal is that none of the computers here at home has an on-board SATA interface! That's not a problem, since the drive comes with a PCI expansion card. The thing is that on the box it says "For Windows Only". I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with something like this and would mind sheding a light. I can't give you much information, just what is on the box: "Maxtor SATA/150 + Ultra ATA/133 Combo PCI Card", and what I found at Maxtor's website: 150%20PCI%20Card]This is it!.

Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    OK, this thing is not letting me edit the URL that didn't come out right... it is:
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Ma...ries/SATA/SATA[s]150%20PCI%20Card

Linux Enthusiast
    I guess no one knows! I still went ahead and plugged it in and tried working with it. It has both SATA and PATA connectors, so I went ahead and plugged my PATA to it (as opposed to directly connecting it to the board) and I got the GRUB boot screen as always. So I'm think "YAY!" Well, I press end and it loads the linux kernel, and panics! My guess is that the kernel doesn't have the drivers required so once it's in RAM it can't find where hda5 (my root partition) is and throws a fit. This is with the regular Slackware kernel (vmlinuz), so I'm going to try booting it up again and see if I can find a kernel that has the drivers.