Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a pretty old turtle beach sound card. Can't even remember the name of it, but the cd that it came with says Montego A3D Turtle Beach. When trying ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

montego a3d turtle beach sound card

I have a pretty old turtle beach sound card. Can't even remember the name of it, but the cd that it came with says Montego A3D Turtle Beach. When trying to run any sound applications i get this error :

Unable to open audio device '/dev/mixer'.
    Please check that you have permissions to open '/dev/mixer'
    and that you have sound support in your kernel.

I'm running Fedora Core 1. I searched to see if it was support but lack of knowing the name of it isn't helping. Any help will be great. Just point me in tthe righ direction or anything.

[root@user-0cev4ui marche]# /sbin/lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)
    00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)
    00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
    00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
    00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)
    00:0d.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY [Radeon 7000/VE]
    00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Aureal Semiconductor Vortex 1 (rev 02)
    00:10.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c900 10BaseT [Boomerang]
    00:11.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corp. 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro 100] (rev 0

What kernel are you running? And are you using ALSA or OSS?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I'll post the kernel in a sec. But what are ALSA / OSS i'll search around might find the answer before you get a chance to reply.

Ok here is kernel : 2.4.22 - 1.2140.nptl

ALSA = Advanced Linux Sound Architecture

OSS = Open Sound System

ALSA > OSS

ALSA is harder to configure in 2.4.* kernels, though, than in 2.6 (where it's native and OSS is deprecated).

Linux Engineer
    I was trying to help someone out with the same card a while back. AFAIK it's virtually impossible to get it working under linux.

But someone may know different.....
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

I would give it a shot under ALSA...I'm not sure that it will work, but you'll probably have a better chance than with OSS.

The easiest way to do this would be to move to a 2.6.* kernel. Let us know if you need any more help or if you get it working.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris H
    I was trying to help someone out with the same card a while back. AFAIK it's virtually impossible to get it working under linux.

But someone may know different.....
    Yes i believe it is. Thanks for all the help though guys i'll just pick up a sound card that works under Fedora Core 1.

Have you tried OSS from opensound.com? I think they have a lot of drivers avalible to "troublesome" cards.. Give it a shot..

Just Joined!
    I see this thread is very old, but if you (whoever you happen to be) are like me, you have searched all over the web and a dozen forums, you finally find the one that describes your situation perfectly, and...

wah, wah, wah, waaaaa. No answer.

Here's a link to the driver you use for the a3d TBS Montego. I have this card in a Dell from about '98, and had a little problem finding the right driver. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=1782

See, for some reason, though it's turtle beach, you'll see if you do "lspci | grep -i audio" as root it's listed as "Aureal Vortex 1 (rev 02)". On the alsa site, they had several aureal drivers, and I tried au8830 first. This didn't work at all. au8820 (as listed in the link above) did.

On gentoo, all I had to do was change it so ALSA_CARDS="au8820", then "emerge alsa-driver". It was a quick compile (5min) and from there, as mentioned in the gentoo alsa guide, I unmuted and tested--works great.