Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a really old laptop that I am interested in turning into a server, or at least ridding it of Windows and turning it into a spare Linux machine. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Modem/Network Card Adapter

I have a really old laptop that I am interested in turning into a server, or at least ridding it of Windows and turning it into a spare Linux machine. The problem lies in the internet connectiong however. The laptop only has an adapter for a telephone cable. It can't fit a CAT5 cable in there. What i'm wondering is if there is any sort of adapter that I can purchase so that it might plug into the tele. cable slot and have an adapter for a CAT5, LAN cable on the other end, such as a serial/USB mouse adapter works. If anyone on the board has one for sale, because I have no idea if they exist or how rare they are, I'd be willing to buy it off of them. I need the computer to connect to the internet, because until then, the drivers for the CD-ROM and USB can't be updated and until then they won't work. Somehow over the years the drivers must have become corrupt, because my father bought this laptop in 1999 lol. Well, any help is much appreciated.

EDIT: Goolged and found this... may be what I'm looking for http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg...._1884_20913279

That's pretty much what you're looking for. There are lots of 3com and xircom pcmcia cards that will do this for you. In fact most pcmcia cards are specifically for this. You should be able to get one on eBay for a couple of quid.

Alright, thanks. Exactly what currency is Quid lol. Also, I was wondering exactly where it is you live lol. Tried to look it up on a bunch of online world Maps and couldn't find it.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close