Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I'm sort of new to linux and have a problem with GRUB. I have a HDD rack that a 15Gb HDD is in and that contains linux (Fedora Core ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GRUB and HDD Rack

Hi,
    I'm sort of new to linux and have a problem with GRUB. I have a HDD rack that a 15Gb HDD is in and that contains linux (Fedora Core 4). It is set to slave. A fixed drive is a 250Gb that contains windows xp. I want to be able to change the HDD rack with another 200Gb HDD with another install of Windows XP on it. I get an error 17 when I switch. I know that GRUB must read my linux drive to boot grub (for the conf file.). What would be the best way to solve this problem without re-installing. I know I may have to but I need a solution. My MBR is on the windows drive (fixed drive in case.) If anyone can help please do.

Regards, Simulator

you could put grub onto the mbr of the linux hard disk and then point at it (via BIOS) as the boot device. Or load grub onto the new windows hard disk's mbr.

Have at a look at the tutorial section of this forum for the post on grub problems (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html) If you can boot via a floppy, then get a hold of the grub floppy files (see tutorial) and you can boot to grub, after having put in the new hard disk.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Nerderello
    you could put grub onto the mbr of the linux hard disk and then point at it (via BIOS) as the boot device. Or load grub onto the new windows hard disk's mbr.

Have at a look at the tutorial section of this forum for the post on grub problems (http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...d-edition.html) If you can boot via a floppy, then get a hold of the grub floppy files (see tutorial) and you can boot to grub, after having put in the new hard disk.

Nerderello
    Thanks for your help. i'll give that a try. A friend at school said to do something very similar.

Regards, Simlator

Hi,
    No luck with GRUB. Looks like GRUB was installed on the MBR of my linux drive. I'm pretty sure the windows drive links to the linux drive for grub. I know of some other software that may work instead of GRUB, so if I get that it may work. If anyone else can help with suggestions or solutions then please do post here. I have both Drives on the Primary IDE port on the motherboard, if this is a problem.

Regards, Simulator