Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok, just got a quickcam messenger, and it doesn't seem to be supported :/ i've tried a random selection of stuff from google.com/linux so i need to know if anyone ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

logitech quickcam messenger

ok, just got a quickcam messenger, and it doesn't seem to be supported :/
    i've tried a random selection of stuff from google.com/linux so i need to know if anyone else has had any luck with getting these things to work. it's listed in SuSE 9.3's hardware config tool under unknown and even when it's inserted there is no driver information. not good :/ any ideas?
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

did you get this working ? i just got a logitech quickcam & got it working by installing xawtv &
    spca5xx . get spca5xx from here http://moking.free.fr/raoul/SuSE10.0....10-1.i586.rpm
    works in kopete

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845

Hi deltaflyer,

Could you please give more details about your succesful installation? I have that camera and I couldn't make it work. I installed xawtv and spca5 without success. I also tried installing qc-usb-messenger and kernel-module. In that case I realized that gnomemeeting can detect and use the built-in microphone but cannot detect the video device (v4l-conf says there is no valid video device in /dev ) It would be nice if you could give more details.

Thanks

PD: using OpenSuSE 10.0

Just Joined!

lsmod

I am having the same probs with mine BUT I have video but not sound.
    To address your problem, have you tried doiong "lsmod videodev". If you do this there should be a valid video device in /dev, THEN you might get a result.