Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am a total linux newbie. I've just installed SUSE linux 10.0 from a download. The installation went fine, except that I still cannot connect to the internet using linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

fan control problem

I am a total linux newbie. I've just installed SUSE linux 10.0 from a download. The installation went fine, except that I still cannot connect to the internet using linux (I have a dual boot system) Turns out my cable modem only supports linux via an ethernet connection, I have it set up as a USB connection, but this problem will be easy enough to fix.

More difficult is a fan control problem I am having. I use a Sony rx-640 computer. The fan (case fan) apparently runs at two speeds in normal operation. When I boot to Windows, it runs very fast (and loud) until boot up is finished, then it switches to a normal, quiet level. The problem is, when I boot to linux, the fan runs fast and loud all the time. It's pretty annoying. Sounds like a jet engine warming up. Is there anything a newbie can do about it?

I've done a little research on the issue and come up with some hits. The most helpful one is http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=197171

But I'm still not really sure what I can do to fix the problem.

Just Joined!

lm_sensors

I think lm_sensors has a program fancontrol.