Find the answer to your Linux question:
Does anyone have any experience with Linux and the new dual-core intel chips? Will the kernel recognize two processors?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Pentium D Dual Core

Does anyone have any experience with Linux and the new dual-core intel chips? Will the kernel recognize two processors?

Quote Originally Posted by groovygroundhog
    Does anyone have any experience with Linux and the new dual-core intel chips? Will the kernel recognize two processors?
    I can't speak for the new Pentium dual-cores, but I've had no issues in the past with actual dual-processing machines and Pentiums with Hyperthreading (fake dual cores), so I don't see why there would be a problem. Most Linux distributions will detect more than one CPU and install the SMP (symmetric multiprocessor) kernel for you by default.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Enthusiast
    i have a dual processor system (2 x AMD athlon mp 1800+) and the kernel detected 2 processors immediately for me...for several different distros. i've never had a problem with that at all

as techieMoe said, there shouldn't be any problem with the kernel detecting 2 "processors" from a pentium, or amd, dual-core system

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The computer department of my uni has the new Pentium D's running on Debian albeit the 32-bit version. So far I haven't seeen any problems with it and it is really quite fast.

And as long as your kernel has SMP compiled in it will detect the 2nd processor.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.