Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just bought a $150 software RAID card (thought it was hardware, but turns out it's not), and I'm trying to install Ubuntu using the Debian installer that comes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Software RAID *NOT* working

Hi, I just bought a $150 software RAID card (thought it was hardware, but turns out it's not), and I'm trying to install Ubuntu using the Debian installer that comes with Ubuntu.

I get to the partition manager and it shows 2 separate drives, so I set them up identically, and then I selected "Configure software RAID" and set the MD up so that the drives are mirrored (RAID 1). When I hit finish it takes me back to the "Partition disks" dialog. So, I "Finish partitioning and write changes to disk," but nothing happens - I get a blank blue background, then it goes right back to the "Partition disks" dialog. If I try to install the base system it STILL goes to the "Partition disks" dialog.

This is making me mad. I'm ready to return this stupid card and never deal with software RAID on Linux again. It worked with no problems whatsoever on Windows, but as you can see it's not working on Linux.

Can you help me get this working? Please somebody help...

Just Joined!
    Nevermind, I've figured it out. I didn't understand that I had to create all the partitions as "physical volume for RAID" types and then pair them up under "Configure software RAID." See the following url for more information:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_software_raid