Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, it's been a while since I found a problem that reading documentation and searching the forums didn't clear up, but here it is. I recently bought an Epson Perfection ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Epson 2450 giving I/O error

Well, it's been a while since I found a problem that reading documentation and searching the forums didn't clear up, but here it is.
    I recently bought an Epson Perfection 2450 PHOTO scanner after I found out that it was completely supported through sane as well as the new iscan and epkowa backend from epson.

I fearlessly emerged xsane and sane-backends. I first tried to use the epson backend so, I set the options in /etc/make.conf to
    SANE_BACKENDS="epson"
    and emerged sane-backends.
    I added myself to the scanner group and logged out and back in.

I hooked up the scanner and ran
    sane-find-scanner -q

which gave the correct output, as well as
    scanimage -L

which also behaved flawlessly. I then got cocky and ran Xsane
    The scanner was detected properly and I set it up to scan an image.

It failed spitting out the error message
    "Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O"

I tried again, re-emerging sane-backends without the SANE_BACKENDS option and was greeted by the same error.
    Needless to say, after each try I power cycled the scanner... just in case.

I then went through and added the information to the /etc/hotplug/usb/libusbscanner and /etc/hotplug/usb/lisane.usermap in order to be sure that the permissions were being set by hotplug.

Same problem persisted.

I then emerged iscan from epson and added the line
    epkowa
    to the /etc/sane.d/dll.conf file and commented out the epson line
    I then commented out the relavent portions of /etc/sane.d/epson.conf and uncommented the relavent lines of /etc/sane.d/epkowa.conf
    I unhooked it, reattached and reran the sane-find-scanner -q and scanimage -L, which both returned the proper results for my scanner.

I then ran iscan and was greeted with the following message
    "could not send communication to scanner. Check Scanner status."

I did, the scanner was fine.

On a lark I hooked up to a windows box nearby to test the hardware. The scanner performed flawlessly on that box confirming my suspicion that it was a linux issue.

I tried an assortment of options after that, all returning the same error.
    I even booted up a spare debian partition, and loaded the scanner on there. I fired up kooka to test it and was greeted with one successful preview scan. When I went to do the final scan, the scanner dropped out again.

After that one try in Debian, it began giving me the same error as in Gentoo.

I noticed that after running scanimage -L and receiving a correct idenitification, if I would try to run it again, the identification would fail until I turned the scanner off and on again.

This is most annoying, and I am obviously missing something very simple anbd trivial here that would explain why I cannot communicate with my scanner. Anyone who has a working epson who might be able to help, please do. I bought this scanner because if the rave reviews linux users have given it. I'd like to know if it is simply user error or if I have a serious problem here.

Thanks in advance.

-Joe

P.S. I checked my kernel config for the OHCI usb support. I also tried several usb ports on my computer in the process of my tests.

Just Joined!
    anybody got an idea? I still haven't found a solution on my own. If you even own and use an epson scanner using either the epson or epkowa backends, please let me know how your configuration is set.