Find the answer to your Linux question:
on that same topic, i'm running suse 10.0, i used to have a MS basic optical mouse...what was happening is when I single-click on something (I have single option enable ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Mouse click issues in SuSE 10 **SOLVED**

on that same topic, i'm running suse 10.0, i used to have a MS basic optical mouse...what was happening is when I single-click on something (I have single option enable rather than double click), it would open two instances of that same app, and one app would end up disappearing or crashing? while the other is up and running. For example in case I confused anyone (including myself), i click once on Firefox, i get firefox to launch, but i also see another firefox waiting to launch, and just ends up disappearing with only the one left...I thought this might have to do with the mouse being faulty being it that i've had this mouse for over 4 years and its stood up to quite a bit of abuse. So I purchased a new MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000, but i noticed that same thing is still happening? am I just going nuts? If I single click, i just want one instance of that app to run rather than mulitples. anyone have the same experience? any suggestions?
    Also...how can i configure Suse 10.0 to allow me to use the extra buttons, i.e. the wheel click option does nothing, only scroll options works, the side button has no function. Under the mouse settings in control settings I see nothing there for the mouse to enable those options....any suggestions or help...?

p.s. sorry for the long and confusing post....

Are you sure this is an issue of something crashing? Often when you launch things in KDE, a window pops up in your menubar with a little hourglass telling you it's working, then a separate window pops up when the actual application launches. Depending on how long you set your "launch notification" option (from the KDE Control Center), that first little hourglass window may stay open even after the program is done loading. The default setting is 30 seconds if I remember correctly. Try moving it down to 10 or 15 seconds and see if it disappears at about the same time the program lauches.

Long story short, this is probably nothing to worry about; it's just your system telling you it's working on something, and then going away after a specified amount of time.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Are you sure this is an issue of something crashing? Often when you launch things in KDE, a window pops up in your menubar with a little hourglass telling you it's working, then a separate window pops up when the actual application launches. Depending on how long you set your "launch notification" option (from the KDE Control Center), that first little hourglass window may stay open even after the program is done loading. The default setting is 30 seconds if I remember correctly. Try moving it down to 10 or 15 seconds and see if it disappears at about the same time the program lauches.

Long story short, this is probably nothing to worry about; it's just your system telling you it's working on something, and then going away after a specified amount of time.
    Lol, you are absolutely right, and that's why your the techie and i'm the newbie. Yea, I actually figured that out just a few seconds before checking for any replies to my message, lol. I did exactly that and lowered it to 10 seconds. Worked like a charm, I guess Suse Linux 10.0 has a lot of nice lil things here and there that windows never had. Cool!!
    I also figured out how to get the auto scroll working in mozilla by checking the setting in mozilla, now if I can just figure out how to setup the 4th button (by my thumb on the side of my mouse) to setup a function....
    BTW...thanks for the reply and help techieMoe