Find the answer to your Linux question:
It's a pretty simple question! I have this motherboard that has kinda been sitting for a while, it's a Socket 7 MB (I have two Socket 7 processors, so testing ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

Older motherboard issues

It's a pretty simple question! I have this motherboard that has kinda been sitting for a while, it's a Socket 7 MB (I have two Socket 7 processors, so testing isn't an issue). Anyway, today I decided to try to get it up and running and I get two errors during boot-up:
    Code:
    CMOS Checksum Bad
    Keyboard Error

Strike F1 for SETUP
    I think the first error was caused because I replaced the MB battery before getting it working, I think that if I can setup the BIOS again I should be good to go there.

The thing is that I can't strike F1, if you didn't catch it, the keyboard isn't working. The physical keyboard itself is working perfectly, my guess is that there's some issue with the MB. My question is: Is there anything I can do with the keyboard thing? I've had an issue like that with a really old computer before, and if I remember correctly we threw it away.

Thanks

does it have a usb port? you could try a usb keyboard. it might be too old, but it was all i could come up with
    Desktop: Dual Xeon 2.8 GHz 1.5 GB RAM Ubuntu/XP Pro
    Laptop: Macbook 2 GHz C2Duo 3 GB RAM OS X/ Ubuntu/ XP Pro
    Linux Registration #396559

Go 'Stros!

Linux Enthusiast
    Ha! That actually worked! Thanks a lot!

If at all possible, though, I would like to get the PS/2 connection to work since I only have 1 USB keyboard at home and it's being used by another computer. So if anyone has any more ideas let me know.

Linux Newbie
    You may be able to buy a PS2 to USB adaptor

also check you have the keyboard & mouse plugged in the correct socket. i had that problem ( many,many years ago) where keyboard wouldn't work

andy
    SLOMO: acer extensa 5235 2.2ghz,2gb ram 160gb hdd wireless
    SPEEDY: homebrew desktop,Amd x2 dualcore,2gb ram,500gb +1tb( 2x500gb) hdd suse 11.3,32mb fibreline
    registered linux user #401845