Find the answer to your Linux question:
this doesn't really have to do with linux, but people on these forums are so good with technology i thought i'd ask anyway . i bought a used 21 inch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

extend monitor life

this doesn't really have to do with linux, but people on these forums are so good with technology i thought i'd ask anyway .

i bought a used 21 inch crt monitor for 50 bucks. because its used, i don't know how much time it has before it goes out. can anyone give me tips (for linux and windows) on how to extend the life of the monitor?

thanks
    registered linux user #390920 << makes me feel important

oz
    forum.guy
    The best thing for extending the life of a CRT monitor is to make sure you don't have the brightness level set too high. Leaving your monitor turned on won't hurt it though, and is considered by some to better than having it turned off for long periods. Some also say that turning them on and off routinely isn't good because of the component stress coming from being cold and then hot repeatedly.

Maybe others here will have additional input.

oz
    oz

and the other thing is look up the monitors manual and make shure that the refresh rates are set corectly in linux or there can be grave results (not as critical on lcd's)
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Linux User
    thanks for the replies

ill lower my brightness and turn off the powersave (it goes on and off every 2 minutes). however, the monitor didn't come with a manual. anyway i can find out the refresh rates and stuff? also, thers a setting on the monitor that says bnc/d-sub. jw what this is.

thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by whisker
    the monitor didn't come with a manual. anyway i can find out the refresh rates and stuff?
    There's probably an online copy of the manual available from the manufacturer's website if it's not too old. If not, you might be able to google around and find one. If nothing else, maybe you'll at least run across the refresh rates.

oz
    oz

also, thers a setting on the monitor that says bnc/d-sub. jw what this is.
    Is this a "selector switch" type of a setting? It sounds like it selects between two separate input connectors/signals - 'BNC' and 'D-SUB' each describe a specific type of connector.

Linux User
    does resolution or refresh rate effect anything?

oz
    forum.guy
    does resolution or refresh rate effect anything?
    Yes, you can burn a CRT monitor up by setting the refresh rates too high.
    oz