Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, I've been shopping for an adapter for my TV so that I can hook up all of my video uotputs to one place. I want to save space ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned

Connect a TV as a monitor

Hey all,

I've been shopping for an adapter for my TV so that I can hook up all of my video uotputs to one place. I want to save space and money. I don't have the space or the money for a monitor where my TV is so I thought I might run it by the forum. I have an ATI Radeon 2800 Pro graphics card with a VGA, S-Video, and a DVI-Out on it. I tried booting with just a straight connection to my TV through an S-Video cord, but it came out black and white and rolled from up to down about a million times a second. Anyone know how to do this? I've looked for adapters or documentation but there seems to be little about it. I don't believe it's a problem with drivers, but I could be wrong. If anyone has an adapter they know of that could solve my problem, please tell me about it.

Thanx

I would think the S-Video cord connection should have worked. Have you tried this graphics card with any other display devices - if so, what were the results?

Banned
    I had very good results for all of my monitors, but I have not tested it with any other output method (such as a TV). I even connected it with multiples cables, some that even change S-Video into Component Video. All results for the TV were the same, but the monitors all work perfectly.

Thanks for replying. If you have more questions, please ask.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    if you have used the s-video connection before then you are most likely dealing with a refresh rate problem. As in you don't have proper refresh rates for your tv listed in your xorg.conf therefore the tv says I don't like this. I would google your tv and see if any one has any suggested refresh rates then add them to your xorg.conf file.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Banned
    What would my xorg.conf file have to do with my TV? Would you mind pointing me to something I can read or explaining it?

I don't have any exact things to point to. But you need to have device sections and screen sections indicating that you are using tv-out and the refresh rates for your television. I would google name of your video card + tvout.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL