Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed Ubuntu. My first time with linux, and after alot of networking problems, I have everything fixed, and am loving my linux experience. However, I turned on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Major problem

I recently installed Ubuntu. My first time with linux, and after alot of networking problems, I have everything fixed, and am loving my linux experience. However, I turned on my pc this morning, and everything seemed fine, untill I switched on my monitor and saw the screen turn from white, into thousands of dots of red, followed by thousands of dots of blue, and then back again to red. I switched off the monitor and pc, and restarted a few times and the problem continued. Finnaly, left it for half an hour and switched it on again. This time, the screen is black, with a blue box giving the message "out of range". I thought it may have been my new gfx card (6600 gt) but I replaced it with my older fx5200, and the problem is exactly the same. I am totally stumped, as it seems as though my pc is booting up fine (theres no error beeping or anything). Does anyone have any idea what it is? Thanks alot.

Sonic

Sounds like the wrong monitor frequencies are being used. I hope you have your monitor's manual or some other way of finding out the correct frequencies.
    After you start your computer, switch to a virtual terminal by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1. Log in with your user name and password, then issue the command:
    Code:
    $ sudo 'nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf'
    Go down until you see Section "Monitor" followed by some stuff that includes HorizSync and VertRefresh. Put in the correct values for horizontal sync and vertical refresh (or vertical sync, as your manual might state). Hit CTRL-x to leave the editor, let it know that you want to save the changes, and hit Enter to keep the filename the same. Then try this:
    Code:
    $ sudo '/etc/init.d/gdm restart'
    That will restart the desktop manager and should take you to the graphical login.
    Stand up and be counted as a Linux user!

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help mate, but I cant do anything. The monitor remains like that constantly, so I cant get into anything. Is there anything else I can do, or am I looking at getting a new monitor?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I've just tried my monitor with my laptop, and the problem remains. Does this mean my monitor is buggered?