Find the answer to your Linux question:
Dear Linux friends, I have been trying to connect a Maxtor Onetouch 250 GB external harddrive (from a friend of mine) via USB 2 to my Linux Suse 10 box. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Maxtor Onetouch 250 GB external USB harddrive

Dear Linux friends,

I have been trying to connect a Maxtor Onetouch 250 GB external harddrive (from a friend of mine) via USB 2 to my Linux Suse 10 box. However, it crashes all my file managers (?). It actually does show up on the desktop, but if I doubleclick on it, then the drive cannot be browsed (crash!!!). I've tried this too on my Debian 3.1 laptop, no success either.

Manually trying to mount the drive lets the command "mount" hang (!!!, I thought this is impossible!!!).

Further data: It's formatted as a single fat32 partition, it shows up as /dev/sda and /dev/dsa1. Under Windows it works flawlessly as a mass-storage-device (which causes my "friend" to flame me horrendously!).

Please help. I KNOW this devive does work with Linux, other people on the internet have it working too, and the Maxtor support website (cryptically) says it works w/ kernel 2.6, if USB is supported (which is the case, of course!).

Just Joined!

Prep USB drive

You need to check if you got the correct modules loaded. Search
    linux.org for some good 'How to's' on setting up usb drives.

Just Joined!
    I think I do have the proper modiules. Another external USB2 drive (4 GB) works just fine, as does my USB-stick (64 MB).... But the Maxtor is a nightmare. Do you think it might have to do with the size of the partition (250 GB)?

Just Joined!
    Is there really no-one in the world that knows how to get the Maxtor working in Suse 10?

Just Joined!

maxtor drive - aaarg

Hi username001,

Did you get your maxtor drive sorted. I have a similar problem. Plug the drive in and suse10 recognises it and it makes some files in /proc/bus/usb but I have no idea how to access it. I want to use it for backups and have taken the ugly step of plugging the thing into my windows box and samba sharing all the drive i need to backup.

Done google, done the maual, done the suse website. Not having a lot of luck here. Windows reckons the drive is ntfs.

If you've fixed the problem, maybe you could post the solution

Cheers
    Andrew