Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anybody tell me the procedure to configure a diskless workstation and run linux on it?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Diskless workstation

Can anybody tell me the procedure to configure a diskless workstation and run linux on it?

Linux User
    Hi prathap_rajamani, the one thing I could recommend is Puppy Linux, which requires no harddisk provided the USB key you are using is capable of holding 300+ MB: 50MB for the ISO and 256MB for a file which emulates a RAM disk. That distribution has quite a few features, but there are no manual pages to the shell. If there is a CDROM drive you may benefit from DSL, which runs entirely from CD and is commonly used for diagnostic purposes, including configuration.

Hope this helps

Tech

Linux User
    Hi prathap_rajamani, the one thing I could recommend is Puppy Linux, which requires no harddisk provided the USB key you are using is capable of holding 300+ MB: 50MB for the ISO and 256MB for a file which emulates a RAM disk. That distribution has quite a few features, but there are no manual pages to the shell. If there is a CDROM drive you may benefit from DSL, which runs entirely from CD and is commonly used for diagnostic purposes, including configuration.

Hope this helps

Tech

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Okay what do you suggest for me the owner of 12 IA-1 from compaq,

i have one with no operating system at all and im at a loss on how to make the CF bootable and install some sort of linux on it.

Linux User
    Hi IAN442

The following site offers some guidelines on installing Linux on a Compaq IA-1:
    http://www.ia1hacking.com/ia1_showfi...category=linux

PuppyLinux is not going to work in all likelihood given that you have too little RAM. If there is a hardware problem, then the parts affected need to be replaced obviously.

On a sidenote, I have heard of http://www.ipaqlinux.com/ as the authorative source for installing Linux on iPaqs, but definitely no garantees are given.

Hope this helps

tech