Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by Dalani AGP graphics or PCI card: I'm assuming the ASUS Motherboard has some built-in graphics display hardware. The specs don't mention it. But even my old PetiumII ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalani
    AGP graphics or PCI card: I'm assuming the ASUS Motherboard has some built-in graphics display hardware. The specs don't mention it. But even my old PetiumII has built in graphics capabilty.

So must I get an graphics for the ASUS AMD64 to display? If not I think I may shop for one at a later date.

thnks again
    No, you cannot assume that a motherboard has integrated graphics, because the vast majority do not. Unless it specifically states otherwise you'll need (and trust me it's worth it) a separate display card.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

yeah most newer mobo's don't come with integrated graphics. But you can get a cheap graphics card for less than 50$ if you don't want games. Make sure you get agp or pci-e depending on your board. Most mobo's have one or the other not both. I in fact have an asrock-939dual-sata mobo which has both because I wasn't ready to upgrade to pci-e when I got it.

I can suggest this board though it is cheap, works great so far.

here is a link if your interested
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

AGP graphics or PCI card: I'm assuming the ASUS Motherboard has some built-in graphics display hardware. The specs don't mention it. But even my old PetiumII has built in graphics capabilty.

So must I get an graphics for the ASUS AMD64 to display? If not I think I may shop for one at a later date.

thnks again
    It's an Asus so I'm 99% sure that it does not have onboard graphics. You will want to get an AGP graphics card because they work better than PCI and are cheaper to buy because they are more widely available.

Linux Newbie
    Ok so looks like I need more ingredients before I can start cooking:

So far I need, in addtion to the motherboard and cpu, memory and an AGP graphics card. Now, while I'm waiting at the cash register, should I run and get a new Hard disk because my old IDE Hds and cables might not fit on the new gear???
    (please say no)

Ok so looks like I need more ingredients before I can start cooking:

So far I need, in addtion to the motherboard and cpu, memory and an AGP graphics card. Now, while I'm waiting at the cash register, should I run and get a new Hard disk because my old IDE Hds and cables might not fit on the new gear???
    (please say no)
    The HDD will still work. The cable hooks up to the IDE port just like on the old board. Be sure that you know what type of board you are getting. Something too new probably isn't worth it. Anything from a 500mhz on up will be okay. Personally I'd just get a slot A because you can get the board pretty cheap and I've seen the processors for it being sold for less than $10. Also know the board format and your case's format so that you don't end up buying something that might not fit into your case.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Girl
    It's an Asus so I'm 99% sure that it does not have onboard graphics. You will want to get an AGP graphics card because they work better than PCI and are cheaper to buy because they are more widely available.
    You are correct about the cheaper (generall) but agp cards are being replaced by pci-express cards. Agp are on the downswing and there is no difference in linux with compatibility. I have both an agp and pci-express card and both work but pci-express bus speed is faster and if you are thinking about the future then pci-express is the way to go. You can still get pci-express cards for fifty bucks or so if you want a budget system. I would also not go with socket A because this socket is not going to have any new processors and the price of socket 939's is going down and you can use processors like the 3200+ and up all the way to the new dual core amd series.

socket A is fine if you want really cheap but then why are you upgrading, if you were to do this?
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Newbie
    I was looking at AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-X SE K8T800.
    I think 939 was too pricey the last I checked. And what comes after dual core anyways? I don't mind waiting.

But in the meantime budget is a consideration for a choice of 64bit card.
    Is power supply an isssue? (300watt at present).

I was looking at AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-X SE K8T800.
    I think 939 was too pricey the last I checked. And what comes after dual core anyways? I don't mind waiting.
    Socket 754s are cheaper, but they're not going to be as upgradeable as a Socket 939, so if you're thinking long-term it might be worth your extra money to pick up a 939.

But in the meantime budget is a consideration for a choice of 64bit card.
    Is power supply an isssue? (300watt at present).
    I would check the recommendation for your CPU and display card, but 300W should be okay for low-to-midrange system. I have a 450W on my desktop.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Dalani if you don't mind me asking what is your price range. If you let me know I will try to find a suitable system for you and probably others will to. Sometimes it's fun to pretend to build a system with monopoly $$$$.

Linux Newbie
    Well for starters I was looking at a mobo replacemnet in a 75.00range with a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X hopefully for about 25.00. Plug in the 64bit cpu that's it that's all! Not for games or graphic intensive tasks: just to run apps like OpenOffice, Gimp and webbrowse at the same time without the computer choking on me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast