Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have an old Asus PentiumII 266Mhz box I would like to upgrade with an Asus AMD Sempron 64bit motherboard. My box has an adequate power supply and HardDisks with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

64bit Motherboard upgrade?

I have an old Asus PentiumII 266Mhz box I would like to upgrade with an Asus AMD Sempron 64bit motherboard. My box has an adequate power supply and HardDisks with Ubuntu 5.04 installed.

Can I simply replace the Pentium2 motherboard with the Asus? and re-install the 64bit version CD of Linux on my old install?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalani
    Can I simply replace the Pentium2 motherboard with the Asus? and re-install the 64bit version CD of Linux on my old install?
    Yes, you can just replace the board and CPU and Ubuntu should just pick up on any changes (such as onboard devices) and configure itself. You might have to do a little tweaking to get certain devices working again (such as sound) but other than that you shouldn't notice any real problems.

On the 64-bit version, I would highly advise against it. There's really no functional benefit to using 64-bit Linux distributions at this point in time, and you're only opening yourself up to potential problems in the future. 32-bit Linuxes run just fine on X86_64 CPUs.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    Thanks for the quick answer. But do tell: if there is no benefit with 64bit Linux why use a 64bit cpu at all? Won't a 32bit AMD or Pentium4 be as fast? And wouldn't Linux kernel evolve to use use the full 64bit registers??eventually?

I need to know to because intalling a new cpu is drastic (for me anyways) and I need to know the pros and cons of cpu(s) choice.

Thanks for the quick answer. But do tell: if there is no benefit with 64bit Linux why use a 64bit cpu at all? Won't a 32bit AMD or Pentium4 be as fast? And wouldn't Linux kernel evolve to use use the full 64bit registers??eventually?
    The key word there is eventually. At the current time no Linux distributions available actually make use of the new features available to 64-bit CPUs (new registers, instruction sets, etc), they're simply recompiled versions of the 32-bit code. That's why at this point in time there's really no serious performance boost when running 64-bit versus 32-bit Linux on a 64-bit CPU. That does not mean that an AMD64 will not be much faster than a 32-bit Athlon or a 32-bit Pentium.

The on-die memory handling and larger L2 cache on the AMD64 CPUs offers a definite speed boost over an Athlon XP for me. I've noticed quite a pickup in load times for memory-intensive games and my overall 3D game performance has jumped. There's no reason not to get a 64-bit chip these days since they run 32-bit software as well or better than a 32-bit chip and you're in a good position for the future when software developers actually start taking advantage of 64-bit-only features.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    So 64bit it is then for me. But one more question: to prepeare the 'mise en place' of all necessay items, I had a peek into my computer and saw that my old USrobotics hardware modem is ISA and not a PCI. Im not not sure about this issue. So my question: If I pop in a 64bit AMD board, will I be able to use my modem????

So 64bit it is then for me. But one more question: to prepeare the 'mise en place' of all necessay items, I had a peek into my computer and saw that my old USrobotics hardware modem is ISA and not a PCI. Im not not sure about this issue. So my question: If I pop in a 64bit AMD board, will I be able to use my modem????
    Wow. How long has it been since you upgraded? You definitely will not be able to use any ISA devices on an AMD64 motherboard, since they all use PCI, PCI-express, or AGP only. If you really need a modem, however, you should be able to find a PCI 56k incredibly cheap these days (less than $20USD).
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Actually you may want to try a modem for the CNR slot if your board supports one.

A AMD64 will work as good on Linux as with Windows with the exception of any applications that are specifically enhanced by the AMD64 that are not available on Linux.

Linux Newbie
    Ok I have a spare Motorola56k modem. But if you will I have two other concerns:

Graphics!
    This upgrade is not for games. I just want to run Ooo and other apps at reasonable speeds. Must I get a graphics card for eg. AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-X SE K8T800 AGP ??? (the motherboard I'm contemplating).

Memory: Will the spare memorry in my old PentiumII work ?

EDIT: I googled the specs and it has DDR DIMM memory slots. Correct me if Im worng, but something tells me my old memory sticks wont fit there.

Ok I have a spare Motorola56k modem. But if you will I have two other concerns:

Graphics!
    This upgrade is not for games. I just want to run Ooo and other apps at reasonable speeds. Must I get a graphics card for eg. AMD64 S754 ASUS K8V-X SE K8T800 AGP ??? (the motherboard I'm contemplating).

Memory: Will the spare memorry in my old PentiumII work ?

EDIT: I googled the specs and it has DDR DIMM memory slots. Correct me if Im worng, but something tells me my old memory sticks wont fit there.
    It might also have Dimm and DDR slots, but I can't say for sure. Just be cafeful to not put dimms in the DDR slot and vis versa. Also you're current dimms may not work since they are most likely PC66 memory so you might want to get some that match the FSB of the processor you are using. Any AGP graphics card will work and you can also use a PCI slot graphics card if you want.

Linux Newbie
    AGP graphics or PCI card: I'm assuming the ASUS Motherboard has some built-in graphics display hardware. The specs don't mention it. But even my old PetiumII has built in graphics capabilty.

So must I get an graphics for the ASUS AMD64 to display? If not I think I may shop for one at a later date.

thnks again

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast