Find the answer to your Linux question:
recently (2 hours ago actually) i bought a dvd-recorder and since in my computer i have 3 hd and 1 old cd-writer what i did was just simply change the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    zyd
    Just Joined!

A DVD-Recorder Issue

recently (2 hours ago actually) i bought a dvd-recorder and since in my computer i have 3 hd and 1 old cd-writer what i did was just simply change the cd for the dvd writer (i even used the same cables) like i used to do in my old windows days. when i turned the computer on it went through the new-hardware analisis (with kudzu) without novelties and the drive has the same device file that the former /dev/hdd . when i insert a dvd it plays without any problem.
    in xcdroast it has the same old label for the drive something like LG-CD-RW.
    i have no blank dvds so i haven't tried to burn one but i want to know in advance if i will face some problem. is there anything else i should do?
    i'm usign fedora 4. Thanx

I had a similar issue with my DVD-RW Drive but using graveman instead. What i had to do in graveman was re-scan for devices, once i had done this, it updated my CD-RW device to be my DVD-RW device, try looking for a scan for devices option. That might well help you.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

zyd
    Just Joined!
    ok, it seems that even when it says CD-RW in the details it says its rigtht name, and whewn i use "cdrecord -scanbus" it gives me the right name also, so i think everything is ok