Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have one of the newer HP Inkjet Printers (the ones that come with a copier, scanner, etc) and now i need help with having it work on Linux(Ubuntu 5.10) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HP injet printer help

I have one of the newer HP Inkjet Printers (the ones that come with a copier, scanner, etc) and now i need help with having it work on Linux(Ubuntu 5.10)

i already installed http://hplip.sourceforge.net/ from Synaptic

Click here (a link to the CUPS configuration utility on your computer and bookmark it), sign in with a new administrator name and password (choose something you won't forget!), click onto "Printers" then "Add Printer." Follow the directions to configure your printer. Hopefully it's not so new that you can't get it configured and up and running. See here to find out if it is supported. If successful, check back in and we'll see if we can get that scanner working.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 05-01-2006 at 12:51 AM.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

I have an hp officejet 6210 and scanner, copy, and print all work with linux. I use hplip, sane-backends, and xsane.

once you install sane backends edit the file /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and add "hpaio" to the list.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Ok, so i used the Gnome CUPS manager, registered my printer (HP PSC-1510)
    but it still won't print...

Description: HP-PSC-1510
    Device URI: /
    so am i missing the "Location"? and how do i find that out?

I would really suggest configuring cups through your web browser and choice and simply clicking on the link provided by Dapper Dan above and then installing your printer that way and printing a test page. Sometimes when you use another program to configure another program you meet errors that are undetectable and untraceable for us to help you.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Hm, well alright, i just used the Gnome CUPS manager because it wouldn't let me log in. I used my root password and user password and it wouldn't let me log in either and i'm not too sure how to go about getting an account on there when i recived a message like this..
    Unauthorized
    Administrative commands are disabled in the web interface for security reasons. Please use the GNOME CUPS manager (System > Administration > Printing).

Unauthorized
    Administrative commands are disabled in the web interface for security reasons. Please use the GNOME CUPS manager (System > Administration > Printing).
    You have to add the user "cupsys" to the "shadow" group:
    Code:
    sudo adduser cupsys shadow
    As explained in /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian.gz

Then reboot.

Then you will be able to configure your printer through the web interface (http://localhost:631).
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    K. i did that, rebooted and tried logging in as both "cupsys" and "cupsys shadow" but didn't get in.

it also says this on the front page of the CUPS page
    Administrative tasks have been disabled for security reasons. Please use Menu System > Administration > Printing.

Quote Originally Posted by gloom
    K. i did that, rebooted and tried logging in as both "cupsys" and "cupsys shadow" but didn't get in.
    You are not supposed to log in as "cupsys" or "cupsys shadow", you log in with your username and password.

Works on my Ubuntu machine...
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    Alright! so i set up the printer and got it working..and just scanned something with xsane. Thanks for the help guys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast